Clear all

garageband

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i'm having a lot of problems recording with Garageband. It's supposed to be easy. i have my mic and guitar plugged into an M-audio Firewire solo then into Garageband. today the problem is that my volume is limited by the volume of the microphone. i can turn my guitar up but i can't turn the mic up. it records the mic at a very low volume. i don't know if the problem is the input into the firewire or from the firewire to the computer. anyone have any ideas? i've been tweaking this for hours. it's not supposed to be like this.

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, Pearl,
Your m audio unit has a clipping led for the mic input. Turn the volume of the mic imput way up and if the clip led lights up when you sing you'll know the input into the interface is working properly. It'll narrow things down anyway.
Good luck!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Ok so when you go to your audio settings, the Firewire Solo is set as the default recording device as well as playback device? This is the best setup. If you only have your computer speakers go and get a female 1/8" stereo to dual mono 1/4" if you need to. What kind of mic do you have? Condensers need 48v phantom power. Dynamics are fine. Make sure you have the input set to mic and not line when using the microphone.

I love Garageband. It's a great program and with more features than most people would use. Post back if you don't get it working.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

boxboy:
yes the red light lights up. that's why i think it's from the firewire solo to the computer that's the problem, not the mic to the firewire solo.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hueseph:
in the garageband preferences: my input is firewire solo, my output is built in output. if i put the output to firewire solo i don't get anything at all? is that what your talking about.

or are youtalking about my apple system preferences? my input there is firewire and my output can be either and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

this only happens when i'm recording voice and guitar at the same time. if i record only voice it doesn't happen. it can get loud then.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

if i put the output to firewire solo i don't get anything at all? is that what your talking about.

This is why you need to hook your speakers up to the firewire solo's outputs. This is a "truer" method of monitoring as you are hearing what the box hears.

or are youtalking about my apple system preferences? my input there is firewire and my output can be either and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Both. And it does make a difference because when you enable the Firewire Solo as your output device, you may still get system sounds from the built in output but you will hear nothing from your DAW unless you hook your speakers up to it.
this only happens when i'm recording voice and guitar at the same time. if i record only voice it doesn't happen. it can get loud then.

I think this is where the real issue lies.

Make sure that you are recording your guitar and vox to two separate mono tracks and not a single stereo track. If you are using any sort of compressor on a stereo track with both the guitar and the vox, that will make your vox even quieter. A mic'd signal will not be able to compete with a direct signal. Record to two seperate tracks and IF YOU NEED TO, put a compressor on the vox so that you can bring up the volume.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i (think) i tried recording to two tracks and it didn't seem to make a differeence but i'll try that again.

as far as looking the speakers to the firewire, if i do that then i can't have them hooked to the computer and on the output the sound is coming from the computer. so i don't see the logic here....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Pearl!

I don't have a M-audio but my interface is similar. Follow the procedure that Hueseph said and also check if you can select the type of input. In my interface you can select if you have connected an instrument or a mic.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

i (think) i tried recording to two tracks and it didn't seem to make a differeence but i'll try that again.

as far as looking the speakers to the firewire, if i do that then i can't have them hooked to the computer and on the output the sound is coming from the computer. so i don't see the logic here....

Set the output to your Firewire Solo and hook your speakers up to it. Even if this doesn't solve your problem (I'm pretty positive it won't), this is the way your should have it set up. Please take my word for this. I spent 20 grand on an education in sound engineering 12 years ago and gain staging is the one thing of value(maybe the only thing) that I got out of it.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ok.

it doesn't fit. do i need to go to radioshack and get that female 1/4" or 1/8 thing that you said? i have a couple of little things i bought there once for something else but they're too big.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i get better results recording on two tracks now. it's still not perfect but it's better than it was. so thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

i get better results recording on two tracks now. it's still not perfect but it's better than it was. so thanks.
Great! Put a compressor on that vocal track and you should be able to bring up the volume a lot more. What kind of mic are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i'm using a shure SM57. does Garageband have a compu=ressor somewhere in there or do i need to go out a buy one?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

prologue:

i'm so glad i started this thread and you answered, hueseph. i now see how to access all the garageband effects, not just the presets, and how to tweak them! YAY!

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Congratulations! I really do love Garageband. The compressor sounds really nice actually and it has a fool proof interface. One slider! If only all audio was as simple. We'll all be expecting some awesome sounding songs from you now! :wink:

ReplyQuote