Guitarport Through Amp and Recording

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No idea if this is going to work or not, but my plan is this:

Guitar is input to the Guitarport, connected to the laptop. The sound of the Guitarport track and the input guitar is normally output to computer speakers. The Marshall head I have has a CD input, however, so I'm going to try to put it through there. I'm guessing that the CD input on the head bypasses the guitar effect channels (clean and overdrive), and I'll get accurate Guitarport sound out of the cabinet at higher volume (almost like having Black Sabbath do a gig in the basement, heh...heh).

Now, when recording using Audacity and Guitarport, if you select Guitarport as the input, you only hear the guitar you are playing, if you're playing along with a track. The end result I'm going for is to have it record it all, so when I get comfortable with a song, I can select the Guitarport track with the guitar removed, so when I record, it's just my playing being recorded with the track.

So, I need to somehow get Audacity to capture both Guitarport guitar input and Guitarport track. If anyone has tried doing any of this before, your insight would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think you'll have to record the Guitarport track into Audacity, first. After that you can play the audacity track (Guitarport track), whilst recording the guitar on another track in audacity.
If you did it any other way, you'd have only one, combined, track (guitarport & guitar) in audacity. This is OK, but if you need to adjust, for example, the balance between the two tracks, you can't. You can't add effects to the guitar, for instance, without adding to them to the backing, as well.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

An update on this.

The Guitarport seems to sound good with it's output hooked into the Cd input of the Marshall head. Granted, I haven't had it turned up very loud yet, but what I've done so far is sounding good. I've actually got a Y adapter on the output of the Guitarport. One end to the amp, the other end to a receiver I hooked up. When I'm practicing, I get better low volume sound through the receiver and some nice Pioneer floor standers I've had laying around. When I'm jamming, or home alone and can put some volume on it, I play through the amp.

So far, the setup is working out very well.

Next step is experimenting with recording, and putting Greybeard's advice into play.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@dandownunder)
Eminent Member

Hey guys, i just recorded my first track on audacity... sounds terrible. I have my electric plugged straight in to my line in and have just a normal 7.1 sound card. Can i use my 20w practice amp in between?

Check out the worlds best radio station: triplej.net.au

ROCKS!!!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Hey guys, i just recorded my first track on audacity... sounds terrible. I have my electric plugged straight in to my line in and have just a normal 7.1 sound card. Can i use my 20w practice amp in between?

If it has a line-level output, yes. But, why not use the Guitarport? You can have it use its amp model and effects.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Dandownunder
Connect the headphone output on the practice amp with stereo cable ( with 3,5 mm 1/8" stereoplugs) to the line in on the soundcard.
You may need to reduce the output level of the amp a bit avoiding overdriving of the line input analog/digital converter in the soundcard.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@dandownunder)
Eminent Member

Cool thanks Kalle, i will try that... I dont think i have a guitarport???

Check out the worlds best radio station: triplej.net.au

ROCKS!!!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

... I dont think i have a guitarport??? Sorry, I thought you were the one who started this thread .. my bad.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote