Clear all

Help with mixer settings

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@stock28)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I finally bought a Behringer mixer and a good mic to record with. I got evereything set up and its working. I run the mic into the mixer and then the mixer to the line in on the computer. I'm using Audacity software. I just need help with setting the mixer. For those that have a Behringer, you will understand the controls. There is a seperate control for gain and level for each input and a master main mix. Then there is a four band light meter for the signal. Can someone explain to me how to set the level properly. I understand the EQ and Pan controls. I just need help with the gain, level, and main mix controls and the manual is as clear as mud to me.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

The gain should be set to the detent, the little click in the potentiometer (nob). This is where the line is at full gain before the preamp kicks in. If there is a slider for the channel volume, have it set at 0dB. Turn up the master till you just start hitting peaks in the yellow. Don't let it hit the reds or you will get distortion. Then again listen to the signal coming from your speaker and make sure that there is no distortion. If there is, back off the master until it goes away.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Which mixer did you get?  You will want to set the sliders of faders to 3/4 their travel, with the mix on and plugged it, adjust the first gain or trim control to bring the sound up as much as it can without distorting.

The sooner you get the level up the more even across the board other controls will run.  The final masters should control the finial volume out.

Hope this helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The mixer is a Behringer UB502. All the controls are dials rather than sliders. The channel level, which I assume is the same as volume, goes from -15 to +15 with zero centered. The gain goes from min to max with a range of ten. The main mix, which I again assume is main volume, is set up the same as the channel level. Right now I have the channel level and main level centered at zero and adjust the channel gain to keep the meter out of the red at peak. Is that correct? If so, when and why would I adjust the levels above or below zero? Would it be to keep the levels balanced when using more than one input source? If it matters on the set up, I only have one mic plugged in which is used to record the amp cab.

Joe, thanks again for your responses on the previous post about recording. My next purchase will be the mini disc player so I'm not a slave to the computer.

ReplyQuote