Clear all

Home recording mixer

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'd like to get a better sound out of my home recording. I'm using a computer microphone right now and the sound quality is bad. I'm pretty much recording acoustic guitar, electric, harmonica and some singing. I've read some posts and I think what I want is a mixer and a microphone or two. Everyone seems to be crazy about the BEHRINGER mixers and I found a BEHRINGER EURORACK UB1202 used for $50. Do you think this is a good deal and will it do what I want?

Also, as far as a microphone goes, do I need a $90 Shure SM57/8 or will a Behringer XM8500 be fine for now?
The mixer has phantom power for condenser microphones, though I'm not sure what I'd need a condenser microphone for.

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

The Behringer XM8500 ( a Shure 58 copy) is a very good mic for the price.
Many people claims that it is as good as the Shure SM58, but I am not an expert on mics.
I am using mine and find it very good with a good sound quality and and a good output level.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The Behringer XM8500 ( a Shure 58 copy) is a very good mic for the price.
Many people claims that it is as good as the Shure SM58, but I am not an expert on mics.
I am using mine and find it very good with a good sound quality and and a good output level.

ditto, also from what i've read there are more than a few pro acts using them now onstage, i figured for the money i'd be a fool not to at least try one.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

If you are using an onboard soundchip (like the AC97) you may think about getting a better soundcard like the M-Audio 24/96. I went from the AC97 to a Soundblaster Live and there was an improvement. I've ordered the M-Audio and expect a even better results. I got the Audio Technica mikes; the AT 2041SP ($200CAD). They are great. It's a packaged pair of a large condenser and pencil mike. Good value. I'm using the Behringer UB802 for a mixer. Since I'm only using the 2 mikes I think I'm going to get better pre-amps like the M-Audio DMP3 (two channel) in the future.

ReplyQuote