Clear all

How To Make A Youtube Video?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm curious....were I to record myself playing to post on youtube, how best could I go about it?

I want the sound quality to be good, so wanted to record acoustic guitar mic'd going into my DAW (either Nuendo or Logic). But I'd be using my Mac laptop's built-in webcam to record the video. Can I do this and sync the audio and visual easily, so they don't glitch when posting it? I could use either Logic, Nuendo, or whatever basic software comes with Mac laptops to sync the two. Would this work? Anyone got any tips/advice/do's and don'ts? A "how-to" would be massively appreciated, thanks!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

This is overly simplistic for what you want to do, but what I do is plug my guitar into my amp and plug my amp into my Macbook. Then I start up Quicktime, point the laptop at me and click on record new video.

For what you've described it might be easy enough just to record your video, then when you import your audio track put the two together using iMovie. I don't think it would be too difficult to sync them, since iMovie gives you a fine level of control, although I've never tried it.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks aragorn. I was thinking something along those lines, tho I've yet to try it or figure out how to drop the audio signal off the AV from my webcam so I can put the mic'd audio on top. Also, I seem to vaguely recall some people had issues with the sync going out of time when uploaded, and wondered if there's a fix for that. But, I think I'll go ahead and try it out when I've got some spare time and see what happens. Thanks!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

I tried this over the weekend, and the new version of iMovie is no good for this. Instead you want to use iMovie HD version 6, which Apple gives out as a free download.

In iMovie HD you can line up your audio tracks under your video track, and slide the audio up or down in 1/100ths of a sec increments. It's pretty easy to line it up how you want it, and set the audio from your original video track to zero. I have no idea whether it will still be in sync once uploaded to YouTube. I've been interested to try this when I get some time, and I'll post back with a link if it works.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks aragorn! I've yet to find time to try this out myself yet, but I can't wait to try it out. I should do a little computer clean up before I start tho, it's about time I got around to it. :oops:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

Okay, I tried this. It's very easy and it works fine.

Once you record your video and audio, load your video in iMovie HD and follow these steps:

1. Click on "Media".
2. Drag your audio file down to the second row, just below your video clip. Repeat if you have more audio tracks.
3. Slide your audio left or right using your mouse. The time position indicator is in 1/100ths of a second and makes it easy to line up in sync with your video track.
4. Adjust the relative volume of your audio track up or down by clicking on the line and moving it up or down. You can similarly do this to set the audio portion of your video track to zero if you want.

Here is my test version of a song I made up for the occasion. My secondary audio track is the lead, and there was no trouble with the sync on YouTube. Keep in mind I'm a beginner so no cracks about my guitar playing. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6cNfYgWDtY

ReplyQuote