Clear all

Recording Noob looking for advice

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jvgruss)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I've searched the web and forums like this one extensively (probably noobed that up too) and haven't found anything that addresses my problem directly. Forget about perfect studio quality sound, I'm just looking for a way to use a program like Guitar Rig or Amplitube to listen to my guitar without having a harsh, grating, mechanical sound come through my speakers.

I use Audacity and it records beautifully, but I can't seem to get the proper sound setup for those amp/effect modeling programs.

My current setup includes: Guitar> Digitech RP200 Pedal thing> Cord into Computer Mic input

Computer specs if it helps:
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
-AMD Athlon II x 4 630 Processor (4 CPU's) ~2.8Ghz
-6144MB RAM
-DirectX 11
-Realtek High Definition Audio Sound Card (not sure of the exact name, couldn't find it)

Many apologies if someone has posted something like this already, and thanks for the help in advance.

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm trying to resist the temptation to say "try using a real amp" (sorry, I know those apps have their fans, but I've failed completely to get good sounds from them....mebbe I need to give it another shot, but I'm not impressed). Do you have any audio samples you could link me to (pref. with the "amp settings" if you have them - e.g. which amp you selected and so on) so I can take a listen to compare if the "mechanical grating sounds" you're getting is similar to mine, or an even more heinous problem? Thanks. I don't want to offer advice (and especially not gear recommends) until I have a clearer idea of what is wrong with your current audio.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@jvgruss)
Topic starter  

The problem I'm getting is a bit more serious than something aesthetic.

I don't have any audio samples yet of the sound. Imagine a horrible grating mechanical noise. Maybe similar to metal dragging across metal while being underwater with a faint sound of my guitar in the background. Very, very faint guitar noises. The rest is just junky horrible noise. Another clarification that might help: When I record with Audacity it sounds great (zero problems). I've tried both Amplitube and Guitar Rig and am having the same horrible noise with both programs.

I've tried running through my amp as well and that doesn't change the sound at all.

ReplyQuote
(@jvgruss)
Topic starter  

Also, how would I post an audio sample on here if I did get a recording of this bad noise I'm talking about?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The problem I'm getting is a bit more serious than something aesthetic.

I don't have any audio samples yet of the sound. Imagine a horrible grating mechanical noise. Maybe similar to metal dragging across metal while being underwater with a faint sound of my guitar in the background.

You need an interface between the RP200 and the guitar to correct the mismatches in level and impedance between the RP200 outputs and the sound card input.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@jvgruss)
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks for the help. Any suggestions of good interfaces I should try?

As a side question: why would I not have any problems recording with Audacity, but when I try to use those Guitar Modulation software apps it gives me problems?

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

As a side question: why would I not have any problems recording with Audacity, but when I try to use those Guitar Modulation software apps it gives me problems?

3 things to consider, jvgruss:

When using a software amp sim, you just want to send a dry guitar signal. The software does all the 'amplifying' for you. It sounds like you're running your guitar through your pedal and or your amp first before the computer, right? You don't want to do that. Plug your guitar directly into the soundcard (caveat: I know nothing about PCs and their soundcards, I'm a Mac guy. I'm assuming you can do that without damaging anything. If not, please ignore!)

Either Guitar Rig or Amplitube need initial routing. Launch the standalone app and search the drop down menus for 'audio/midi setup'. Make sure all the ins and outs are kosher.

Either GR or Amplitube should also be available as plugins in Audacity. Meaning you can use Audacity as the recording software and apply the amp sims from within it. Try that and see if it makes any difference.

As Moonrider mentioned, an interface will tend to make all these problems go away. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@jvgruss)
Topic starter  

Ok, I plugged my guitar dry into the computer without any in-betweens like the pedal and amp, and still having the same issues. Audacity still sounds great, but the software does not. Maybe I could try to use audacity as the mixer like you said and use the Amplitube within Audacity. Only problem is when I do that a generic menu comes up without any description as to what I'm changing.

IE-

Parameter 1- (slide bar interface)
Parameter 2- (slide bar interface)
Etc
etc

nothing there describing what amp im using or effect. Many thanks in advance for any help.

ReplyQuote