Notifications
Clear all

Is the Laptop Up to the Challenge?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@davisdenton)
Topic starter  

Is my laptop up to the challenge? This is my first post, though I've been trying to sort this out from great advice here. So far I have a V amp 2, UB802 mixer, cheap mic, lots of cables and adapters.

I have Kristal and installed ISO drivers, but the latency still is waaaay off. Is my compter up to the task? On playback it skips and stutters, the tracks are not sycrhonized, and the sound is pretty bad. Mic and Guitar are going from the mixer into the computer through the mic jack with a pig tail adapter/splitter.
Do you think this is primarily a sound card issue or a computer issue? In other words, would this still happen even if I had a good sound card (and what kind? PCMCIA, USB, ? )Or is the computer not up to processing this even with a new sound card. Thanks for the advice.

My computer: 2003 Toshiba Satellite 15: sorry for the detail, but I'm not sure which info is important.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Toshiba_Satellite_A15-S127_PSA10U-00RESV_PC_Notebook/display_~full_specs
Processor Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Installed Memory 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Hard Drive 30 GB IDE, 4200 RPM
Display 15 in. TFT Active Matrix
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Processor
Processor Type Celeron
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Speed 2 GHz
Bus Speed 400 MHz
Memory
Installed RAM 256 MB
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Max Supported RAM 1024 MB
RAM Speed 266 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 256 KB
Hard Drive Capacity 30 GB
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 4200 RPM
Audio
Audio Output Type Sound card
Audio Input Type Microphone
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Recommended Use Home Use
Platform PC
Technical Features
Expandability 1 x Type I/II PC Card Slot
Expansion Ports 2 x USB 2.0, VGA out, Parallel Port, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC)

Networking Type Integrated Network Card
Data Link Protocol Ethernet • Fast Ethernet

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I would have to say it's a program issue.

I have almost the same exact laptop and I use it for all my recordings (and everything else for that matter). I have never had any latency issues so, sorry I can't help with that. You have enough RAM so I don't think that's an issue.

I know there are other threads that talk about this issue, but I think some of them started out as one question and they slowly evolved into other issues like the one you describe.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you so, welcome to GN! Have fun.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@davisdenton)
Topic starter  

Thanks Mike.

Do you use the original soundcard?
What software do you use?
Do you go in the Mic imput?

I appreciate your help!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I used the soundcard in the beginning, but the card was distorting the sound too much, so I bought the MobilePre (USB interface). That made a world of difference with my distortion problem.

I use Sonar 4 Studio Edition. Sorry I can't help with Kristal. I know Nils and others here use it.

When I used my soundcard I went through my headphone jack.

Good luck, bud.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's the soundcard. A basic non-asio soundcard will have terrible latency, no matter how fast the rest of your pc is. Going from my Soundblaster Live! to my new E-mu 0404 latency dropped from 1000+ms till just 4ms. Note that if you're going to do some serious audio processing you'll also run out of memory quickly: 256mb is barely enough for winXP and if I even think about using multiple VST instruments all of my 512mb is sucked away instantly. You really want to have atleast 1gb of memory for the fancier stuff.

But if recording tracks, one at a time, and making basic mixes is what you're after then a decent ASIO soundcard will be all you'll need. Firewire/USB/PCI doesn't matter much, go with the one that's easiest with your system.

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

I got an IMac with Cubase SE and a TASCAM US 122 USB sound module.........ZERO probs.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

davisdenton
Wich ASIO driver are you using ? ASIO4ALL ?
Even if I am not using a Laptop I can get my 1.7 GHz NVidia motherboards integrated soundcard and a simple Soundblaster soundcard work fairly good together(no big problem with latency) with the ASIO4ALL driver

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@davisdenton)
Topic starter  

A quick update: I had no success with Kristal even with ASIO4all. After hours and hours and.... But, I gave Audicity another try and it seemed to compensate for the latency automatically and pretty well. While I'm not very good on guitar, I've decided I'm better on guitar than on computer! Dang! this takes up lots of time! Can't say I wasn't warned. So for now I'll keep the SoundMax sound card that is in the laptop until I have some understanding of the basics of recording. I think the next step is a better mic.

ReplyQuote