Left Hand & Key...

Notifications
Clear all

Left Hand & Keyboard?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I figured since I am using a midi controller keyboard it should go here.

I was practicing my keyboard today and I knoticed that my left hand could play the chords much easier than my right hand. I am assuming this is because my left hand forms the chords on the guitar...correct? If anyone here plays keyboard I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Also, unrelated question...for those who play keyboard do you use a midi controller and if so what software do you use for the instruments? I just started using Dfruity Loops and it's AWESOME!

Thanks

(@davidhodge)

I'm left handed, so I form chords with the right hand on the guitar. But on piano, I find it much easier to form chords with the left hand. Part of that is training (from long long ago). On the piano, the right hand usually plays the melody and often most of the soloing. So you're used to playing bass and chords on the left hand.

It's an interesting concept, though!

Can't help a whit on the unrelated part. Sorry.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Also, unrelated question...for those who play keyboard do you use a midi controller and if so what software do you use for the instruments? I just started using Dfruity Loops and it's AWESOME!
I use Project5v2 & Dimension Pro by Cakewalk for my MIDI stuff. I use my keyboard as a controller for either, playing an instrument that I select i.e. bass, drums, synths, sound effects and much much more or I can use it to highlight notes while creating a pattern in the editor. I use M-Audio's MIDI Sport Uno to connect. That will change when I get my firewire though.

I posted a small comp in the Hear Here section called A Morceau in Eb. It was all done using Project5v2 & Dimension Pro (the other one up there as well). I think the software is incredible. The depth and texture of the sounds is top notch and the program is so easy to use. Project5 also allows audio recording as well.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm left handed, so I form chords with the right hand on the guitar. But on piano, I find it much easier to form chords with the left hand. Part of that is training (from long long ago). On the piano, the right hand usually plays the melody and often most of the soloing. So you're used to playing bass and chords on the left hand.

Thanks David...The few books I have for keyboard all have the left hand playing 2 note chords for bass...I assume you could play it with 3-4 notes as well? One problem I am having is playing chords in the middle of the keyboard. I have to slightly twist my body to get my hands properly prostion. Is thatg normal?
I use Project5v2 & Dimension Pro by Cakewalk for my MIDI stuff. I use my keyboard as a controller for either, playing an instrument that I select i.e. bass, drums, synths, sound effects and much much more or I can use it to highlight notes while creating a pattern in the editor. I use M-Audio's MIDI Sport Uno to connect. That will change when I get my firewire though.

I never heard of that program by Cakewalk...I thought I seen everything they made...I guess not. I'll have to check out your song..

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Mikespe wrote: The few books I have for keyboard all have the left hand playing 2 note chords for bass...I assume you could play it with 3-4 notes as well?

Yep. :D What books are you using?

One problem I am having is playing chords in the middle of the keyboard. I have to slightly twist my body to get my hands properly prostion. Is thatg normal?

I'll assume you are sitting when you play the keyboard. ? You may need to move farther back from the keyboard to allow your arm more range. Placement of the piano bench (or chair) is actually important, trivial as it might seem. You'll find the distance you like over time.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

When i saw the title of this thread i thought it had something to do with adult XXX chatrooms... :oops:

sidenote: If you ignore me, i'll probably go away :roll:

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When i saw the title of this thread i thought it had something to do with adult XXX chatrooms... :oops:

sidenote: If you ignore me, i'll probably go away :roll:

J

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But I think it might get censored! :wink:

Yep. :D What books are you using?

One problem I am having is playing chords in the middle of the keyboard. I have to slightly twist my body to get my hands properly prostion. Is thatg normal?

I'll assume you are sitting when you play the keyboard. ? You may need to move farther back from the keyboard to allow your arm more range. Placement of the piano bench (or chair) is actually important, trivial as it might seem. You'll find the distance you like over time.

Margaret

I have a couple of books but I am using THE ULTIMATE BEGINNER SERIES: Keyboard Basics without the DVD. I got it from eBay for $4.50 shipped. It comes with a CD and is layed out nicely.

Thanks for the tip on sitting...I never thought of that! :oops: I'll have to tried that tonight.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Jmin7b5 wrote: When i saw the title of this thread i thought it had something to do with adult XXX chatrooms.
:lol: Glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee.
Mikespe wrote: Thanks for the tip on sitting...I never thought of that!
My piano teacher used to get after me when I'd have the bench too close to the piano. I finally developed the habit of placing the bench properly before sitting down. Hadn't thought about it for a long time, but your question brought it to mind.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Here's something interesting:
I played piano before I learned guitar. When I picked up guitar, left hand parts on piano got WAY easier. So your theory holds true for me.

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

You may need to move farther back from the keyboard to allow your arm more range. Placement of the piano bench (or chair) is actually important, trivial as it might seem. You'll find the distance you like over time.

This usual only is a problem with non-piano keyboards as the sustain pedal on a piano makes you sit a bit further back (ie. the correct distance)

It's like some older people who drive with their chest/face up against the steering wheel... Good thing there is no airbag on a keyboard. :?

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote