Clear all

making midi files sound real

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I wrote a song using powertab and exported it as a midi file. Does anyone know of program that would allow me to import this midi file and make the instruments sound much better?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If you can stretch to a copy of Guitar Pro, the real sound engine is a big step up from Powertab-style MIDI, and it's right there in the tab editor. It can import from Powertab too, although it doesn't always manage to get all the info in the original file.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Try the free sequencer Quartz AudioMaster Freeware
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/SoftwareHouse/Products/Audio_Master/Freeware/freeware.phtml
Quartz AudioMaster Freeware will allow you to record, edit, mix, share and deliver your productions driving a fully integrated 4 tracks digital mixer, recorder, sound and time line editor in perfect synch with a 16 tracks MIDI sequencer.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that will help him much as he needs the actual sounds, not a sequencer itself. I've never seen a good guitar VST that can read MIDI files, but I use Groove Agent for drums, The Grand2 for piano, Absynth for electronic/synthy stuff and Personal Orchestra for all kinds of orchestral instruments.

I'm currently setting a new computer together so things are going slow but if you'd like me to render some tracks just let me know.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You're going to have to splurge to get something like Fruity Loops and a plugin for it called Dimension Pro. This is about as real as it can get right now. It's not perfect but I'll tell you the average person won't reallyknow the difference. Someone with a trained ear will probably hear the difference but it is definitely close.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mike: this might be just a matter of opinion but I seriously doubt DP is 'as real as it gets'. It's a nice collection with a wide variety of sounds but I doubt it really gets close to any dedicated package.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike: this might be just a matter of opinion but I seriously doubt DP is 'as real as it gets'. It's a nice collection with a wide variety of sounds but I doubt it really gets close to any dedicated package.

You maywant to listen to it first Arjen...Pluswhat I meant was it's as real as technology will allow. I have been fooling around with sequencers a lot in the past 2 months or so and I'll tell you DP is the best on the market right now(and I mean the PUBLIC market not the COMMERCIAL market that is obly available to the industry).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

<snippage> I have been fooling around with sequencers a lot in the past 2 months or so and I'll tell you DP is the best on the market right now <more snippage>

Might consider that first part out of the argument :o

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

<snippage> I have been fooling around with sequencers a lot in the past 2 months or so and I'll tell you DP is the best on the market right now <more snippage>

Might consider that first part out of the argument :o

As usual gnease you and I are going to have agree to DISAGREE :o

If you know of ANY better that is available on the PUBLIC market and not the INDUSTRY market by all means I am ALL ears! I don't want to have to purchase some high-end equipment to get it either (ie. Pro Tools). The instruments in DP are the closest to real sounding in anything available to the GENERAL PUBLIC in my opinion...and quite honestly in the opinions of MANY others based on what I have read in numerous recording & midi forums. Every review talks about the amazing sounds that DP can produce. The ONLY thing that others have stated that could be improved is the organs (and this was from one reviewer only). I haven't used them much so I can't comment. I may have only been researching for a few months gnease but that research has been EXTENSIVE and in all honesty I am offended that you are judging me review based on time spent. I have downloaded almost every demo available. Most of them were trash from the beginning. Cakewalk has pushed the technology to the limit in the PUBLIC market. I am sure better will be developed but AT THE MOMENT Dimension Pro is (and I stand by my ORIGINAL comment!) As real as it gets in the PUBLIC market.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Since the original post doesn't mention whether the "program that would allow one to import this midi file and make the instruments sound much better" need be free or not, this conversation should include all programs, no?

So let's help the original poster and list what programs are available and the pros and cons (as we see it) of each.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Guitar Pro
Cakewalk Sonar
Cakewalk Dimension Pro
Fruity Loops
Ableton Live
Cakewalk Guitar Studio
Cakewalk Pro Audio
Cubase VST
PowerTracks Pro Audio

Some OTHER programs that I have never heard of as well. Still someMORE squencers.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The fundamental codebook design upon which MIDI is based is both its original strength and its current weakness. Even very good MIDI samples and very good sequencing sound recognizably different from humans playing physical instruments. For those who care to understand why, get a good tech reference on MIDI and some material on the physics of musical instruments and settle in for a long read. Just about every argument leveled against the simplistic, artificial nature of 80s/90s syntho-pop, applies to MIDI. MIDI is great for some applications; it's not for others. As for most things in life -- except for cowbell -- judicious, limited use of sampled instruments (controlled by MIDI) is probably the best way to get a good compromise between the convenience of MIDI tech and attaining a good, organic production.

The simple answers to the original question:

1. Get better samples (insert concrete suggestions here)
2. Get a better sequencer to manipulate those samples (ditto)
3. Learn how to manually manipulate the loops and samples to make the timing and dynamics less artificial sounding

Mike: I was referring to "fooling around." Doesn't sound like a strong basis upon which to build a recommendation, does it?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike: I was referring to "fooling around." Doesn't sound like a strong basis upon which to build a recommendation, does it?

As usual gnease you and I are going to have agree to DISAGREE :o

See Above

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Is there a really good midi to cowbell tool though?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is there a really good midi to cowbell tool though?
I believe Bruce Dickinson may have one.
You could always try http://www.morecowbellnoise.com

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2