Skip to content
Odd noises while re...

Notifications
Clear all

Odd noises while recording, any suggestions?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello again,
These noises just recently started occuring while recording..
I'll explain it in detail,
My guitar is plugged into my amp. My amp is plugged in from it's Line-out input to my computers Line-in input using a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter.
My guitar is a Peavey Preditor. All stock except for a replacement volume device and my EMG-85 humbucker bridge pickup, which is powered by a 9v battery which is inside of my guitar.
I just recently replaced this battery as well.
Ok,
during recording, there's a horrible staticy fuzzy noise in the background of my guitar. It happens MAINLY while I'm using distortion.
Before you say that it's because of my distortions EQ settings, listen to this.
When I put my hand on the cord that is in my guitar or on the input of my guitar where the cord goes,
the noise is gone. I guess by putting my hand on there, I'm absorbing the electricity that is causing the fuzz. I found this odd.
What's kind of funny but still sucks ass... is that in order to resolve this problem without going to a guitar shop to get it checked out, what i do to get rid of the noise is I place my guitar on my lap to where the guitar cord and metal plate around my guitars input is touching my leg (skin, not clothed, I wear shorts)
This completely fixes the problem but is SOOOO uncomfortable.

Can someone tell me whats wrong and also HOW DO I FIX IT?

Thanks,

Marshall

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Your guitar has a grounding problem. There should be a ground wire connected to the bridge at some point. If you're confident enough to do it, go ahead and open up your guitar and check for a loose ground wire. You may need to resolder it.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote