Clear all

Pro Tools or what???

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@daveboots)
Topic starter  

Hey Guys-
I'm new around here, and desperate for guidance before i blow my cash.
I recently jammed on a friend's Pro Tool's TDM set up, and found the Sansamp plug in to be perfect. I loved it, and didn't care much for some of the other guitar rig plug ins.

anyways, i have been trying to buy a Pro Tools mini Mbox to start recording, but some salespeople have told me Sansamp comes with it, while others swear it doesn't. Does anybody actually know??

secondly....all i really want to do is record guitar, bass and drum tracks, while getting the tone i need (super crunchy Fear Factory/Krankenstein type tone). Do I even need Pro Tools?

What about something like the Line 6 Toneports or something else?

thanks a lot.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

For basic recordings any sequencer plus any kind of guitar rig would do. You could use Toneport, a standalone modeler like a POD or V-amp, an actual guitar amp with a mic or various software plugs. If you don't have a bass guitar and drum you'll need aditional plugs for those. I personally use Cubase LE with a E-mu 0404 soundcard (these two are $99 together) with Groove Agent for drums ($230).

ReplyQuote
(@daveboots)
Topic starter  

i just started using audacity with a digitech df-7 pedal and my alesis drum machine.
it saved me about $700 from the protools set up i was going to get. obviously it's not pro tools, but it does what i need it to.
thx

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

For a straight forward answer, go to the source. But, since you haven't done that, ProTools LE does NOT come with sansamp. It comes with Amplitube LE Which is fine and sounds great. Really good software modelling. If you're new to recording however, it's overkill even to get an Mbox Mini (btw they're only $350cdn retail.). At any rate, for the sake of an input, you might want to invest a little money. You can get an M-Audio Fasttrack for $99 or any number of other cheap usb interfaces. Kristal Audio engine is free and supports VST effects. Of which there are thousands available for free. Many free amp sims that are fairly convincing. Tubebaby comes to mind.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote