help with buying standalone multi-track digital recorder

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

For years I've been recording using a mic that came with my computer and Audacity. Recently I started looking into some better quality recording options. I'm hoping to use the recorder to mainly capture and edit solo acoustic guitar and vocal, but at times also violin and harmonica.
I want to get a standalone multi-track digital recorder for creating simple nice demos now, however I want the recorder to be advanced enough that I will be able to use it for many years without "outgrowing" it.

After searching for awhile I narrowed my gaze down to the Boss BR-600, the Fostex MR8HD, and the Boss BR-900CD.

links to products' descriptions
-------------
Boss BR-600 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR600-Digital-Recorder?sku=241151
Fostex MR8HD http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR8HD-8Track-Digital-Recorder-with-40GB-Hard-Drive?sku=240341
Boss BR-900 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR900CD-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=241150X

I'm rather heavily leaning towards the Boss BR-600 mainly because of the nice things I hear about its internal stereo microphone, interface, features, and price but there are a few questions holding me back from purchasing it. So most dynamic mics will work with the BR-600 (correct?) but the recorder lacks phantom power so I won't be able to use condensor mics? I've heard that condensor mics are best for recording acoustic so I'm a bit worried about not being able to use them. From my reading it seems that a preamp would be able to allow condensor mics to work with the BR-600 though. Is this correct?

Assuming that I get the Boss BR-600, what kind of extras (microphones, preamps, etc) should I get to record acoustic guitar and vocal? If possible I'd like to keep the price of this extra stuff under $200. (preferably *far* under :))

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
--rk

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Correction on my guess about preamps providing phantom power:
I just read on a website that I would need a condensor mic that "can use an internal battery, or get an external phantom power supply".

so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I just took a quick look at the Behringer web-site and all their mike pre-amps have 48V phantom power.
Another option, but not as portable would be a small mixer, with both mike pre-amp and phantom power built-in

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

so many times we are not