PT 7.3 audiosuite?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone

I am very new to this whole PT stuff, using an actual reel-to-reel until last year when it gave up the ghost and I sold it to the Good Guys in St. Paul so they could use the still usable parts for people wanting to fix a Tascam 8 track. I searched a little but I don't have the best searching skills: where can I find a good explanation of how I can buss a track over and record w/ plugins instead of only on playback. The GC nerd told me that I could buss a track w/effects (i.e. amp mods) and still save the original w/o maxing out my CPU or I could copy a track and render it with Audiosuite? I have a couple of books about PT For Musicians, etc. but this doesn't seem to have worked for me. I like to lay down a time using the click or a basic Strike! track and then do a left and right guitar and then a lead when needed but I am running out of CPU by the 2nd gtr because I think I'm still using the plugin. I even have a UAD card to release some of the pressure on the CPU when I want to use dynamic plugins but I'm doing something wrong. If there's a book or website out there written with someone like me in mind please comment or PM. I can do PT just fine when I'm just using mics (as it should be) but would like the flexibility that the plugins allow. I have 2 Gs of RAM so it's not like I'm overtaxing the machine.

Thanks in advance or sorry for asking a stupid question :oops:

Peace,
Jick Jackson

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It's very much like your old console. You need aux busses. So create a new track and make it an auxiliary return. From your record enabled channel's send section create an auxiliary send and direct it to the auxiliary return that you created previously. You can make the aux send pre or post fader as you wish. In the aux return use an effect as an insert.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's very much like your old console. You need aux busses. So create a new track and make it an auxiliary return. From your record enabled channel's send section create an auxiliary send and direct it to the auxiliary return that you created previously. You can make the aux send pre or post fader as you wish. In the aux return use an effect as an insert.
I think I get it, up until now when i'm using guitar rig or amplitube I'm only really recording the clean tone going in. So if I buss to another track with the plugin as an insert it will record it that way? That sounds good as I can change the original clean track later if I want, right? Hope i'm on the right "track" :D

thanks for the advice

peace,
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Actually, if you're using it for an amp sim, just put the amp sim in an insert on the guitar channel. PT doesn't record the plugin. Just the signal coming in.

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Actually, if you're using it for an amp sim, just put the amp sim in an insert on the guitar channel. PT doesn't record the plugin. Just the signal coming in.

I think I understand, but I want to record the amp sim. Does that make sense? I want to be able to have several guitar tracks when mixing or over dubbing but I want the sim to be recorded as I'm doing it or on a dupe track so that I can hear without maxing out the CPU. :?:

Peace,
jick

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

So record the track and freeze it. That will "print" your recording. Or you could use the insert and bus the track via a send to another record enabled track, though I'm not sure how effective that will be.

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So record the track and freeze it. That will "print" your recording. Or you could use the insert and bus the track via a send to another record enabled track, though I'm not sure how effective that will be.
Ok thanks I think I get it. I either copy the track and render it w/AS or I send to another track and use the plug there and it will record that way? Man, I am just going to bust out the porta-one (do they still make cassettes?).

:D

Peace,
Jicky

ReplyQuote
(@voice-and-music)

I think the easiest way is to bounce the track with your plug-ins to a 24bit file then import it back into the session.

John
www.singinglessonsadelaide.com.au
Adelaide.South Australia

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I think the easiest way is to bounce the track with your plug-ins to a 24bit file then import it back into the session.
It's easier to just bounce to a new track in the session. Same thing just one less step.

ReplyQuote