Clear all

Question about recording with mixer

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lazerkrust)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everybody, I'm new to everything recording (you might see my other post). My question is, can I use my PA mixer to record? Like for example, I have a mic in the mixer, then I use the mixer line out to then connect to my computer, then I would do the guitar, bass, drums the same way.

Would this work or would this be to overpowering to something in the computer?

If it does work, thanks for your knowledge, if it wouldn't work, what might you suggest for me?

Thanks

Are You Ready?

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You should be able to use the "tape out" Jacks . you will need a stereo 1/8 in male to 2 RCA female plugs. use your aux. in jack of your sound card NOT the mic. jack, this will sound much better. 8) 8) -the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@freeguardzone)

This topic is close to what I'm needing info on, so maybe I'll hijack it a bit...

I have a computer, a mic, a mixing board (Mackie 1402VLZ). What I don't have are connectors - what's the best way of hooking this stuff up?

I want to be able to record through the mixer to the computer - but I need to be able to record each instrument one at a time - vocals, guitar, maybe a drum track. I then would like to mix back through the mixing board, but I'm not at all sure that's possible. I currently have a crappy sound card on my computer (which I'll be upgrading). Also, I have a tape deck available to me as well fwiw. I'll be listening in on stuff through headphones connected to the mixer.

I'm supposing I'll need some software for the computer as well - suggestions are welcome. I'm getting myself tied into knots in terms of connectivity of these things - cables, wires, etc. Also the fact I'm just not sure if what I want to do is in fact doable...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

On a mixer there could be anything from a line outs, direct outs, tape outs, monitor outs, sub-mix outs, (non power mixer) main outs, which anyone of them can connected to the line in on a sound card.

On the Mackie 1402VLZ you have the following outs. Watch your out *levels.
Separate RCA-type tape/CD inputs and tape outputs (unbalanced)
*2 aux sends with 15dB of gain above Unity
Aux 1 pre/post
Extra ALT 3-4 stereo bus for submixes, separate recording, monitor and "mix minus" feeds

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@freeguardzone)

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I'm any less confused though...

Correct me if I'm out to lunch on this:

I have mic hooked to mixer IN. I have mixer OUT connected to sound card via tape outs (RCA). I record vocal to computer HD via Audacity or something like it. I record guitar same way. I record thumping of my head on brick wall same way.

I now have 3 separate recordings of sound recorded on my hard drive. Do I have to mix these recordings on the computer, or can I feed them out again to the mixer for an analog mix? Or is this even a good idea? If I can send them back to the mixer from the sound card, would that be via another Y cable split to RCA's (tape in on the mixer)?

Sorry, I'm losing my mind trying to cope with the myriad possibilities.

Thanks again in advance....

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

See if this will help Computer Audio Recording

joe

ReplyQuote
(@freeguardzone)

The best, simple explanation I've seen on this subject yet. Thanks.

I'm going to have to play around with the setup a bit, but I think I have a pretty good idea of where to go from here.

FGZ

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your Welcome

joe

ReplyQuote