Quicky Audacity question...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Y'all,

Hows it going? I've bought a cheepy computer mic recently to do some recording, (my extremely limitted talents dont warrant anything else!), and im using audacity- (again, free!!).
My question is, when I am recording guitars that are going to be distorted, should I record Clean, and then play with it, or record with Gain on. I onmly ask becaus ei heard that one should always record clean as possible, but i can't find the option to add distortion on audacity.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I record my guitar the way I want it sound like. If it's overdrive I need for the song then overdrive it is. There are occasions when the lead is recorded without delay, its added post. Experiment with different ways see what works best for you. Can't help you with that recording program I don't have it or use it. Sorry.

Someone that uses it will be along perhaps they can help.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

cool, thanks joe.
i thiink you are right, recording the way i want it is the way to go- at the end of the day, my dialed in tone would b hard to add after i guess! and it does osund ok, i was more worried about feedback i think. Right time to go play with multi tracking, a friend of mine enjoys using it, he's just made a 9 layer acoustic track. that mad eme smile, i pointed ou tthat his band may struggle to play it live!

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a thought. If you have a mixer and one Mic. You could use a direct out and come back in on another channel, then use the second channels direct out into another channel, or even split the direct out into two channels. You even come out a direct out into a compressor and use the sidechain option then back into the mixer. The combinations are endless. When mixed together you can create a really wide sound or have each channel sound so different that it sounds like different guitars playing the same thing.

Joe

ReplyQuote