Clear all

wet mixing not dry

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dry means the signal doesn't have effects. Wet means when the signal has effects added. It's really a little more complex depending what the signal sounds like and were it's taken from. Basiclly..Just add some kind of effects to the post mix down. could be compression,Eq, delay, chorus, etc.

Example: if you ran your guitar into a direct box into the mixer, your signal would be considered dry, then when you add effects at the mixer this signal is considered wet.

Example: Using a *Radial JD•7 Injector, the output signals are dry, then when you run into different effects, preamps, sub mixer channels. (to me this is still dry signals even if some of them have effects added). the only part of my signal I consider wet is at the final output of the roland digital delays, Eq's into the power amps.

Joe

*Radial JD7 Injector is a unit that allows a guitar signal to drive seven amplifiers or other piece's of equipment simultaneously.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In terms of your question, what do you understand by "wet"?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Forrok_star gave you a good description of wet "Wet means when the signal has effects added.", although I would, personally, say that dry is a clean unadulterated signal, such as that directly out of a guitar or microphone. The signal becomes wet when it is modified by effects - and to my mind that includes the use of equalisers (the EQ has had an effect on the outgoing signal).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Come out of the aux outs into the effects, out the effects then back to the aux in. You also out the aux into effects then back into other channel's. basically you loop the effects back into the mixer or where ever you want to do. Like when you hook up a cd player to your home stereo amp. you come out the cd player outs to amp cd in, amp cd outs to cd ins. Patch effects in the same way to a mixer. Use the aux controls on the mixer to blend how much of the wet signal you want to add to the dry signal.

Aux out->effects in->effects out-> aux in.

Aux out->effects in->effects out->other Channel ins.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, use any level controls and watch any meters or leds to keep unity gain. You run the outs into different effects and come back in anywhere. different channels or aux ins. You have to decide what sounds best for your application or how you want to route the signal.

aux out 1->effects in->effects out-> aux in or another channel or another effect or whatever.

aux out 2->different effects in->different effects out-> aux in or another channel or another effect or whatever.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Watch any meters or leds try to keep the gains equal. don't over power the inputs or outputs of the effects or when you come back into the channels. generally you'll see -10 or +4 db

joe

ReplyQuote