Skip to content
Recording Fender am...

Notifications
Clear all

Recording Fender amp to recording equipment?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was looking through the PDF version of the owners manual for my Fender Blues Deluxe Re-issue. Page 6, section L, #3 states:
"(3) Recording or Reinforcement - Connect PREAMP OUT to the input of sound equipment."

Does this mean I can record my favorite amp using the output from the preamp section at the beginning of my effects loop? If so, well, I might need some time alone followed by a gentle hug.

Has anyone here do this with their Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe (or any other Fender that makes a similar statement?). I imagine it would be a Instrument signal and not a Line-Level, right? I'm just a bit hesitant to try. I don't want to blow up anything or otherwise damage high dollar (to me) gear.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Generally a preamp out on any amp should be a line level signal and work just fine for this purpose. I always run through a mixer before going into any recording gear so I can adjust levels with my meters in analog fashion. The question is, how will it sound? I myself don't like it. Too harsh. I have a SansAmp for direct recording but despite it's amazing performance IMHO nothing beats a mic'd amp cabinet! You would be robbing yourself of the sound of your power amp section and speaker. So ..... I think yes you can but you would'nt like the sound. Direct from your "processor/pedal board thingy" should be your best direct recording results.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh, yeah, that's a pretty glaring over-sight on my part. The cab. My amp sounds so perfect to me as it is, so taking a huge chunk of that equation out of the picture would probably not jive. :|

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Go line in from the preamp on one channel...and use two live mics in two more. One of those straight out from the speaker cone where it sounds good (dynamic)...then directly above that one...one on a hypoteneuse (condenser)...slanted along the hyp toward the spkr. Fool with the faders a bit until you like it...subgroup the result onto another track. Archive the other three.

cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote