Clear all

Recording myself play guitar

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jon40uk)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys
I hope someone can help me. How do I record myself playing the guitar with a backing track?. All I have at the moment is a laptop which I plug into the amp to give me the backing track, so as I say I would like to record that and myself play. The amp I am using is a line 6 amp.
Basically all I am looking for is the simplest and cheapest way possible, nothing fancy yet....lol.

Thanks in advance
Jon

(@alangreen)

Well, let's have a look at what other kit you might have.

If you're going to use the recording "just" to see how you sound and how you might need to focus on specific bits of your music then you should be able to do it without spending any cash.

Have you got a mobile? (cellphone) - most of them have the facility to record reminders or personal notes (it's called "Voice Memo" on mine). It won't sound pretty but it may suffice.

Have you got an old radio-cassette? It's more than likely to have a built-in mic. Have you got a tape you can chuck in it? Point it at the amp, hit record, and play your stuff.

An old Dictaphone?

Looking at minimal spend, if you have a CD player and can burn a CD on your laptop, you can drop your backing track onto a CD. Use the CD player to play the backing track. Kathy's laptop has a built-in webcam so she can use it to capture sound; does your's? If so, then hit record on your movie maker software, hit play on the CD player and play your guitar.

If you're looking for higher quality recordings, then I'd suggest taking the amp out of the equation and getting an interface to plug your guitar into which outputs to USB (You can get one of these for £80 in the UK). Import the backing track to your recording software, pull on a pair of cans, set the recording software to play back the backing track whilst recording (so you can hear it in the cans), hit record and play.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jon40uk)
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan

Yeah I have all those you said. I like the webcam one best. Never thought of doing it that way and I guess I can see myself play as well..

Cheers for that
Jon

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

Download guitar rig and use it as a demo. Times out after 30 minutes but it takes 10 seconds to start it back up.
You will need a usb guitar cable to plug into the USB port of the computer. You will need the Asio4all sound drivers to
make it all work.

Only think you have to buy is the cable. I bought mine at Target for 34$

I play the backing track and use the bottom recorder to record my playing. I use the bottom because it picks up the effects from the hundreds of different sounds Guitar Rig has

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

Audacity, its free and ites easy. It does not record live effects but since you are already ampd it will record that. My amp sound sweet thru adactiy but now I use guitar rig and no amp

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was gonna suggest Audacity.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote