Recording Necessities

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lazerkrust)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I am in a "garage band" and we wish to record eventually, and perhaps soon. None of us have any experience with recording at all. I posted this so that maybe you guys can help me out with some questions:

What all is needed to record?
What are some recommended brands to use?
We are still teenagers, so we are not that finacially strong, so some cheap quality stuff would be nice.
How does the whole connection work?

All your help is appreciated. Thanks

Are You Ready?

(@armistice)

Assuming you have all your instruments and amplifiers etc. you'll need something to record with - microphones - a way of boosting the microphone signal to get it to recording level - preamp - and something to record on - hard disk recorder, computer etc.

That's in its most basic form - from there it depends upon what you want to do, how many tracks you want to record at one time, what sort of quality you're aiming for etc. You may need both condensor and dynamic mics, a mixer, mulitple preamps (a mixer will already have preamps but not necessarily good ones), stands to put the mics on, a pop filter etc etc. The list goes on - and I haven't even begun to talk about compression, limiting etc

The cheapest gear you buy is Behringer, and there's a reason for that - it has a commensurate sound.

My recommendation is you save up some bucks, then go to a project studio for a session or two and there you'll see how complex it actually is and whether you want to go down this path or not.

Good luck

ReplyQuote