Clear all

Right-Sizing your roomsize/monitor combo

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm considering several lower priced monitors as sort of a starter pair for the "home studio" currently being drawn out. My room is quite small and my ears are old, pieced together and very tender. I can't crank up monitors. As such I need to be able to hear the detail at lower volumes. My room is 10X12 w/closet.

I've done some investigation, read reviews, scoured Tweakz, etc, etc, but still have one core aspect undetermined. What size monitor is right for my room and right for my ears? I don't want a monitor that's too hot for my studio and subsequently the ears.

A bonus to me would also include a brand/model that would do all of the tricks, treat my room and ears right and for low budget (as far as monotors go).

Thanks!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy I would think you'd need to test that out within the room with your ears. Not sure what your measure of a hot monitor is as long it has the frequency response I would think you could always adjust the volume on the monitors. But there are a lot of variables going on that I'm not sure how anyone would know your particulars probably all they'll be able to do is tell you they use X monitors in a room that is x by x and they sound like this and then they may or may not sound the same in your room.

Good luck but I don't think you need to do a ton of reasearch, find some monitors that have the price/frequency repsonse you want and go for them. My guess is with the cheaper ones you will lose some frequency response.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I have always been a fan of JBL for studio monitors (unless you want to get expensive).

Check these out: JBL LSR2325P 5 Two-Way Bi-Amplified Powered Studio Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR2325P-Bi-Amplified-Studio-Monitor/dp/B001PYK1BS

and others, available everywhere...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Laz, did you find a need for a sub-woofer with these?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Laz, did you find a need for a sub-woofer with these?

Given the small room you're working in, I'd try them without, and if you feel it's thin at the bottom, add the sub.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Gotcha. 10-4.

One thing I've noticed was that so many of different company's reviewers only really had bass issue with smalleer units, like 5-inch or 4-inch. Nothing defenitive. More of a check them out first kind of thing that you just reiterated.

With my needing to hear music at lower volumes, I suspect the bigger speaker will provide much better bass response than the 5's. Heck, it's always been that way for me even with guitar amps.

Roy

ReplyQuote