Software and recording help needed!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a piece of software that I can record, edit, make beats and basically everything in one. I currently am not in a band, but have tons of ideas that I would like to make whole. I know people have said just buy any recording software and then an EZ drummer kit and go for it. But I would like to find one with all in it.

I have looked at such programs as Dubturbo and its incredibly low priced at $40. I have heard good and bad things about it. Everyone else says get Fruityloops, but thats out of my price range.

Currently I am using Audacity which is free and when I record I am connecting through a headphone jack on my amp that says(record out) to the mic headphone jack on my laptop. For some reason I cant get anything this way though. I dont know how to have it read the input signal. It just keeps recording through the built in mic. And I know I will eventually have to figure this out if I buy better software.

Thank You,
Legendaryk4

(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I also forgot to mention I would like to use the sound straight out of my amp and pedals. I dont want to use amplitude.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cubase is more or less a standard in software recording. Many members use (or used) it. Audacity is a good alternative.

It seems you didn't select the mic/line-in input or perhaps the input level in the computer is too low. Review those options. Are you using Windows? I guess they will be in the Control Panel.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yep.

Also you can look in the free software thread in this forum.

Wavosaur, reaper, etc

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am using Windows atm, I checked everywhere in my control panel before and couldnt find a thing... I am just going to buy a guitar to usb cable. But how would i go about doing this because my amp only has one input on it... if i attached this too it I wouldnt be able to plug in my guitar?

I have reaper and audacity but I feel like it would be ALOT easier if it was just all in one so I didnt have to transfer anything. I am completely new at this stuff and I just want it to sound good too.

I just looked up Cubase 6. They have like 4 different versions. The regular one which is $499, eduactional one $299.99, the Artist one which is $249.99, and then the elements one which is $99.99. The elements one is more in my price range but doesnt release till like october.

Thank You,
Legendaryk4

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

. I am just going to buy a guitar to usb cable. But how would i go about doing this because my amp only has one input on it... if i attached this too it I wouldnt be able to plug in my guitar?

The one I have has a "piggyback" plug. You plug your guitar into it the cable, then plug the whole thing into your amp.
Other brands I have seen have an output jack on the interface that you can use for headphones or connecting to your amp.

Of course, this means you don't get any of the effects or tone that your amp provides. But you can run an amp simulator plugin for your recording software, so that's not a show stopper.

Optionally, you can hook up the USB cable to the "record out" of your amp, if you want to.

Or stick a mic in front of your amp, and connect that to your computer.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

check out Cubase Essential 4. it is much less costly than the newer versions of Cubase.
the advantage of Cubase Ess 4 is that it works with ezdrummer. meaning, it is capable of ultilizuing the Drag and Drop function. this is where you select a beat pattern in ezdrummer and drag it to your drum track. then you can build on it.
I moved up from Audacity to the simple version of Cubase that came with an inexpensive digital interface, Lexicon's Llambda.
having a digital interface removes all the hassles of plugging in your instrument.
I often use my pedal setup when I record, but Cubase has effects you can use.
www.tweakheadz.com

a great site with loads of reviews and info.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Currently I am using Audacity which is free and when I record I am connecting through a headphone jack on my amp that says(record out) to the mic headphone jack on my laptop. For some reason I cant get anything this way though. I dont know how to have it read the input signal. It just keeps recording through the built in mic. And I know I will eventually have to figure this out if I buy better software.
Forgive me if you've already taken these steps. I didn't see them mentioned. Make sure you do these with everything plugged in, meaning your line from the amp headphone jack to the mic in on your laptop.

In Audacity: Open audacity, click on "edit" in the top menu. The lowest item is called "Preferences". Click that and a little window called "Audacity Preferences" will open. The top left option to look at is called "Devices". If it is not already showing the devices choices on the right side of the window, click on the word "Devices" in the menu on the left. Your window will now show devices. The bottom area is called "Recording". In that area are two items. "Devices" and "Channels". Select the mic from the "Device" drop down list. It will probably say something like "realtek hd front pink jack". Part of that is the brand name of your sound card drivers and the other is obviously the color of the jack and it's location.

You'll see something different in Reaper, but by and large the same thing. In the latest version, it's under the "Options" menu, but is still called "Preferences". After that window is open, it's the second non-indented category called "Audio" and under that, the first called "Device". There are some additional things available to set in Reaper, but it's there. Click the checkbox "enable inputs" and select the various inputs you want in the drop down lists.

For Reaper, there is some more detailed instructions in their free 398 page user's guide. If what I outlined doesn;t work, go to this and start from the beginning.

I don't recall which had me do it, but one of them had me install some sort of third party audio drivers called ASIO4ALL, which I think is an interface for software to talk to other software. It does not play well with others. If you use it as many do, make sure all of your other sound devices are completely off. I mean even down to the system sounds, like any stupid noises like when an email arrives or when some window opens or an error occurs. This should be a setting somewhere in the Sound area from Control panel. Be sure to turn off your media player and everything else that might make a sound.

Good luck! :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote