Routing Effects Problems With My Digital Recorder

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys,
Ok here's my problem. I have a new Boss1200 digital multitrack recorder. There are onboard effects, some of which are quite good, but some of them (reverb) I'm needing to use an external processor because the effect just doesn't cut it. There was nothing in the manual about using external effects units, and when I emailed Boss they said there wasn't any way to do a channel insert for the effects; that you'd have to essentially do it like an effects pedal, right into the guitar input jack.

Ok, that kinda pisses me off because this thing was expensive, and musicians today need to be able to use other effects/mixers, etc, so I'm thinking that, with all the connection options this thing has, there may be a way to do it. Here's my options:
1) stereo line inputs & outputs
2) XLR inputs/outputs
3) 1/4th inch inputs/outputs
4) digital output connector (not quite sure what this would be used for)

Anyway, if you guys have any creative routing ideas for me, let me know. Basically I'm wanting to hook up my reverb processor to apply it to my tracks. Thanks for your help

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Can you do the editing on a computer? There are lots of wonderful reverb plug-ins (Nick says so).

If not, it seems like you should be able to take one of the outputs to playback the channel you want, run it through your external reverb, and then back into a different input. If you set the reverb not to mix with the source, then you can vary the balance of reverb and dry in your mix.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What Laz said. The advantage of sending the wet signal to a second track is that you can finetune it much better, you could even play the reverb unit as if it were an instrument while you're sending it over. Nothing quite like boosting the length of the reverb for the last words of the chorus, for example. If you're running out of tracks just send both the dry and wet track to a new one and dump the old two tracks.

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for the info, guys. Yes I do have some good computer software and nice reverb plugins, but I was just thinking sometimes I'd like to be able to do it entirely on the recorder without having to sit and my computer. I will try some of the things you guys mentioned and see if it works. Like you said, it should, I'd just never done anything like that before. Hey speaking of good reverb plugins, have you guys heard the Waves plugins?? Freakin' CRAZY good plugin!! I'm gonna have to buy that eventually.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

90% of the reverbs on my songs are from Waves. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

90% of the reverbs on my songs are from Waves. 8)

Wow really? Right on. Do you have any of your songs on your myspace page? I couldn't believe it when I heard my friend's song using the Waves plugin. It is so natural sounding it blew me away. I can barely listen to my Lexicon plugin after that. I think Waves beats them hands down, and then some haha

ReplyQuote