Clear all

TASCAM DP-01 8-Track

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.music123.com/TASCAM-DP-01-Digital-8-Track-Portastudio-Refurb-241106-i1375485.Music123

Does anyone here own one of these? If so, how do you like it? It seems like a decent price, even for a refurb.

Dan

(@alangreen)

I like Tascam kit, I have an old 414MKII 4-track which recorded to tape, and I now use a 2488MKII 24-track HD recorder.

I've got a Boss Micro BR, too, and can record direct to my PC, but the Tascam really is my weapon of choice

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alan, thanks for the feedback. I don't have any recording capabilites right now, and I'm trying to decide if I want to use my computer or go with a separate machine. I've been so close to buying the Boss Micro BR several times! Its such an intriguing little machine and if it had 4 more tracks, I'd have bought it by now.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The Boss Micro is a good little gadget, but getting the sound files out of it and onto your PC is not well explained in the manual and I'm really struggling to work it out. I might still fall back on the tried and trusted remedy of conecting the USB cable and just looking at the track data in Windoze. The manual doesn't tell you if the drum track data exports either. Apart from that, it's a great little gadget.

I would say that having a separate external recording tool is the better option. If you're jamming round a friend's place and really getting a groove down you don't want to lose your work because you left your PC tower at home. If you take your Tascam with you then you can record the session and clean it up on the PC later. I took my old 4-track to a pub gig once, and it gave me a good set of recordings that I would never have had if my PC was my recording kit. Plus it survived falling off the shelf without interrupting the track it was recording; I bet your PC can't do that.

A :-)

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alan, the reviews of the Micro state the same problem - that its a pain to get the files from the unit to the PC. Please post more about it as you learn. I'm still considering it. Also, if the drum files export without using any of the 4 tracks, that would be a definite plus. Do you know if you can bounce a couple of tracks to a single track, freeing up room for more instruments?

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yes, you can bounce tracks

Exporting the files via USB is as you'd expect. The trouble is that the files aren't in MP3 or WAV format unless you're recording in that format

A :?

ReplyQuote
(@redstrat)
Eminent Member

GET A BOSS BR 1600 HAS 16 TRACKS AND CAN HOOK UP 8 THINGS AT ONCE.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yes, the 24-track Tascam 2488 has eight inputs too. Most of the decent kit does, these days.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not that concerned with the number of inputs. I'm not in a band, and I'll be recording most of the stuff by myself. The most important things to me are that it have removable storage (memory card), be easy to use, reliable, and capable of decent (though I don't expect professional grade) sound. A built-in drum machine and mike would be nice too.
I know a lot of people here prefer computer recording, but I don't have a decent computer.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I'm currently using a computer to record my band's practices;mixer into the line in. Bad thing, we can only record onto one track. I've been debating getting a multitrack recorder like the boss 1600cd that can record up to 8 tracks at the same time, or alternatively, getting some sort of multiple input soundcard for the computer. I like the idea of being able to take the recorder where I go, but I also like the ease of mixing and messing with the recording on the large computer screen. Plus, I hate always having computer hardware conflicts and such. We basically want to record demos and songs for our website. Suggestions?

ReplyQuote