Skip to content
whats the differenc...

Notifications
Clear all

whats the difference between ASIO and WDM?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all.

Just wondering, since in the recording device I have, I can choose which drivers I want to use...

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

WDM is the standard Windows sound transport and is pretty effective and clean most of the time. ASIO is an advanced sound transport to provides low latency for recording and playback. Better for music recording and monitoring.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

WDM is the standard Windows sound transport and is pretty effective and clean most of the time. ASIO is an advanced sound transport to provides low latency for recording and playback. Better for music recording and monitoring.

So in other words, I should choose the ASIO drivers for better quality recording/playback?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Correct, whenever ASIO is available it is the best option.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I will give it a whirl tonight, and see how it works =)

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yuck, ASIO is NOT working well with my cakewalk software lol. I get some weird timing issues...I play on beat to the metronome, then when I play back, my playing is about half a second off. Switched back to WDM, solidly on beat again =).

Anyone adept with cakewalk homestudio?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Cakewalk does not support ASIO. It is strictly WDM and DirectX. For most other software ie: Cubase, Logic, Live, Traction or pretty well anything other than Cakewalk and ProTools, you want to use ASIO. ASIO (Audio Signal [or Sychronized depending on who you talk to] Input Output) is a direct link between the audio software and your card. In other words it bypasses Windows in effect. That is why there can be lower latency with ASIO drivers IF you have software to support it.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote