Clear all

Woah...So how does this work...?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've noticed after reading a few topics of the subject of Soundcards and Recording that I might be misunderstanding something. That or I am completely wrong in my assumptions...
To the point. I've noticed that in all of these topics, all of them say something along the lines of "I just plug my guitar (with or without amp) into my computer through the Line-in/Line-out jacks and use a freeware recordig SW such as Kristal Audio Engine or Audacity to record."
My questions is how the hell do you plug your guitar into your computer or your amp into your computer with a guitar cord??? I bought a new soundcard 4 months ago, I think it's called Soundblaster Live, but it doesnt have an input that is as big as a guitar cord jack. All of the inputs are the size of headphone jacks. And I read from a reply of a posted topic on this subject that one guy has this same Soundcard(Soundblaster Live) and plugs his guitar into his computer and records..
So how do you do it? do you buy an adapater? do you... what do you do??
Let me know please.

thanks!

Marshall

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Marshall,

Go to Radio Shack, and pick up a "stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter". They only cost a couple of bucks, and if you don't know what you're looking for, just ask a salesperson. Tell them what you want to do. Your guitar cord is 1/4", and the soundcard takes a 1/8" male connector. The adaptor basically goes on the end of your guitar cord, and reducess the jack to 1/8".

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

FYI, my local Radio Shack didn't have the adapter. :shock:

So I went next door to K-Mart of all places, and bought a package of several mixed adapters, for about $3, I think it was.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote