Clear all

Your Preferred Percussion Strategy - Part 2

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the second part of my percussion "what do yooze guys like to do?" question. This one is DAW or studio Mixing board specific. The basic question is this. If given the choice, how do you like to have your drum track(s) after you're tracking (recording)?

My current percussion software allows me to:
A: Output up to 8 individual kit pieces.
B: Output all to one "Master" track.
C: Output to tracks that represent sets of mics. The kit I have open right now has once each "Master", "Talk-Back", "Overheads" and "Room" channels.
D: A mixture.
E: Something entirely different.

I think "C" is the more traditional method of tracking drums? I really don't know, actually. It's just the impression I get.

I've done mostly "A" because it gave me obvious ways to do some simple volume and panning automation. I have a feeling that using "C" would give me more of a cohesive sound quality for the kit. I would not be surprised to hear that using the mic groups tracking makes everything easier for the skilled engineers to do what they want.

So, what do you guys like to track?

(ps. I have a part-3 in mind. Maybe in a week or so. )

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

C seems it would be more the way real drums would be mixed. Since I borrow and don't write my stuff it all comes mixed into one. When I do write my own for origional stuff I will have a track for each component. I don't have option C.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'd start with A, but then mix it down to a stereo track early on, so it sounds like one complete kit recorded together. That's mostly how I did our demos, though there was leakage between the mics on a real kit. That actually saved me, as the close mic was too dry on the HH, but the overhead had enough depth to create a fuller sound.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

For a while, I did C, as Addictive Drums has a 16 track out option. Somewhere along the way, I lost that setting and was just doing the standard 2 track out. I've got it set back up to do 16 tracks again, but I rarely do anything with it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Pro Tools plug-in Strike allows me to do "A" as one of the options. I do like that option, but am not good yet at blending it all in the end.

One of my new software toys has a "kit" that does not have direct mics on cymbals aside from the high hat. The mixer has one channel each for kick, snare, h-hat, tom, tom and "clap". The Over-heads have the other cymbals. No pushing them off to one side or the other. :/

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote