Skip to content
3 FREE Beginner Blu...

Notifications
Clear all

3 FREE Beginner Blues/Rock E videos posted Enjoy!

44 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

NEW VIDEO TO HELP WITH STRUMMING!

Hi Everyone,

I have had a huge email response from Mojo Working and I made this video to help people all in one single post just to make it easier for me. Hope this helps many people get their mojo working.
CLICK to play NEW 2mb WMV Movie ONLINE or right click and download it
Thanks
Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 23/05/2005 3:00 pm
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

it sucks because I have all the chords down and was getting really excited about doing those cool tunes, but then I figured out that I can't strum it for beans. I'm a rock and roll queen, so I don't even have the slightest idea how to strum any of them. It's different then everything else that I'm learning. arg. Anyone got tips on strumming any or all of them?

Posted : 08/09/2005 6:08 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yeah the key is just getting the beat with the right hand and some muting is going on by letting your frethand press and release on the fretboard. It takes some practice. Why dont you just mute the strings with the fret hand and try to just get a tempo worked out with the right hand to mimick what I am doing.

Most of the time my right strumming hand is doing something fairly simple but when I add in the muting with my fret hand pressing and releasing it then starts sounding like music.

Let me know an exact place in a song you want to focus on and I will try to help more.

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 08/09/2005 6:15 pm
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

yeah. That's part of what I don't know how to do, and I'll work on that. My main problem is the strumming pattern, though. Since I'm not used to listening and interpretting this kind of music, I can't figure out where the ups and downs are. The video quality on my computer is not that great, to add to the problem. Basically, all strumming parts are lost on me, but the picking parts are fine. To be specific:

1. On the first video, I have trouble with the strumming on the E7 to A7 and walking base note parts. I'm fine on the D7 to E7 to B7 part.

2. On the second video, I can't figure out what you are doing with the fifth string on the picking part. It looks like the same thing you do with the 4th string, but sounds completely different. That's not the important part, though. It's the strumming after the picking that I can't catch the pattern of (E7-A7-C7-B7)

3. When you move the C7 shape down four frets, I understand the picking part, but not the strumming. When you move from the C7 to the D and A, that part is something I can figure out.

So those are the specifics. It's just down/up patterns.

Posted : 09/09/2005 12:19 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Let me give you a strumming example for the #2 item on your list. That's Susie Q.

Hold an E7 chord and do this sequence of actions exactly as I state them

VIDEO EXAMPLE OF THE PATTERN DESCRIBED BELOW - CLICK HERE

1. Pick downward on the low E string once
2. Raise your hand and strum down again on the whole chord and mute it immediately as you lift your fret hand up only enough to let the strings mute.
3. While the strings are still kinda muted strum down again but it will sound like you are scratching across the muted strings. Scratch kinda sound.
4. Now press the chord down and strum upward once and then immediately down. Then repeat back at step 1

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 09/09/2005 1:15 am
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

wow. I don't think anyone has ever been as helpful as you! Thank you for your time.

Posted : 09/09/2005 4:00 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That's what Guitar Noise is all about. People helping each other. Thanks for working hard on it. And thanks for the reply. We love to hear feedback and it really helps me get better at teaching. So we help each other.

Thanks
LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 09/09/2005 4:28 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I made an additional video this evening explaining the strumming of MOJO working.

PLAY MOJO WORKING STRUMMING VIDEO HELPER

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 11/09/2005 12:29 am
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

sweet! That helps a lot too! Thanks.

Posted : 11/09/2005 6:16 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I first played the Mojo video I was so frustrated because I couldnt listen and keep up to what you were doing. But I stuck with it and then watched the second video and I could see lights clicking in my head. Now I think it might actually be possible and I've learned alot of technique to add to other song along the way.

Great work and thanks

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 11/09/2005 2:29 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the updates and feedback. I am glad this is helping folks.

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 23/10/2005 11:43 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I saw your videos again and have been able to follow you a bit in susie q and mojo.I love seeing them again and again.Its just awesome.....

Thanks again,
Rahul

Posted : 03/12/2005 5:39 pm
(@s7deluxe)

Hi Little Brother

Just a short note to say many, many thanks - the three short video clips have answered an awful lot of questions for me. The strumming and muting is exactly what I needed to complete the theory I had.

Keep up the great work, total respect!

S7deluxe in Wales

Posted : 09/12/2005 7:46 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone for making this a great place with so many nice folks. It's a pleasure to visit and contribute with such a good group of people. Happy holiday season everyone!

LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 09/12/2005 7:57 pm
Page 3 / 3