Clear all

Lessons on YouTube

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@futile)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I hate to advertise OTHER lessons on Guitar Noise, but I was listening to NPR today and heard a snippet about this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9291453&ft=1&f=1039

I know I've looked at free video lessons before, but never on YouTube. Have any of you guys looked at these? Made some? What are your favorites?

Posted : 06/07/2007 1:32 pm
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Hey! This is such a coincidence.

Just last night I stumbled on to Justin's site. I was really impressed with the lessons!

Cheers,
Steve

Posted : 06/07/2007 1:48 pm
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

Quite a few people have posted about Justin Sandercoe's vids here on Guitar Noise, so don't feel bad :wink:

On a side note, David Taub has a note on his website saying that they have had to pull all the videos from YouTube because of copyright problems (that's what happens when you perform other peoples music!), but goes on to say the vids are still available if you subscribe to their channel on YouTube. I haven't looked to see what's involved with that yet.

Regards,
Paul

Posted : 06/07/2007 2:04 pm
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Justin and The Next Level Guitar (YouTube name "rockongoodpeople") both have some great lessons on YouTube.
http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/
I've been working on Justin's lesson for Johnny B Goode recently.

Unfortunately YouTube, just last week, pulled most of the Next Level Guitar videos due to some copyright claims.
Now you have to subscribe to their channel http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rockongoodpeople . They say the videos should be back there "within the week" (The channel is the #1 most subscribed this week and month). It's worth checking out.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

Posted : 06/07/2007 2:12 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

There are also some victor wooten videos up there, I think they are clips from a DVD so they are probably not entirely legal but definitely interesting to watch and wonder just how the heck he makes his bass sound that way.

Posted : 06/07/2007 3:36 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

On a side note, David Taub has a note on his website saying that they have had to pull all the videos from YouTube because of copyright problems (that's what happens when you perform other peoples music!), but goes on to say the vids are still available if you subscribe to their channel on YouTube. I haven't looked to see what's involved with that yet.

I'm glad that I have been downloading some of David's videos from Youtube.
He's great at breaking songs down to a level I can understand.
I'd hate to loose access to his assistance.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 06/07/2007 6:48 pm
(@futile)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

What I heard on NPR was actually a little update about how his videos had been pulled. The issue was not necessarily that he was teaching copyrighted music, but that he was teaching it for free in order to advertise for something else. So he was indirectly trying to make money off of it, which is illegal. It's unfortunate, but it makes sense to me.

I just want to get all of the resources I can, especially as a beginner!

Posted : 07/07/2007 9:28 pm
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member

On the subject of video lessons, you guys should check out http://www.shredacademy.com/home.htm :wink:

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:33 pm
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

You gotta check out Justin Sandercoe (justinguitar.com). I thought David Taub's were great, but then I came across Justin. I'll tell you something, there is a hugggggge difference.

Anyways I'm hoping they can keep teh videos up. :(

Posted : 08/07/2007 4:03 am
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

You gotta check out Justin Sandercoe (justinguitar.com). I thought David Taub's were great, but then I came across Justin. I'll tell you something, there is a hugggggge difference.

Anyways I'm hoping they can keep teh videos up. :(

Must be why I've been downloading the good lessons I can find on the tube right now. Justin Coe is very good.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

Posted : 12/07/2007 10:56 pm