Notifications
Clear all

New April Issue of Guitar One

19 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

My main issue (get it?) with these magazines is along the lines of Wes's comments. I mean, they are NEVER critical of any piece of gear. Every article just points out the good things and never mentions the bad. I like to read about the gear that different players are using and read the tips and lessons, but the rest of the magazine (in both cases) simply let you know about new videos and CDs available for purchase, new gear available, and 30 random pages of advertisements.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 18/03/2007 11:20 am
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

To add to that, ever since these magazines started giving away free CD's with each issue they have increased the price even more. I've bought tons of magazine's with CDs and I never use them because I find them completely pointless: I was watching the one I got with an issue of Guitar World and the CD's "feature" was just a video of a John Frusciante interview that was already in the magazine... so if you're too lazy to read, you get a video for it, the rest of the CD was nothing but reviews and some other stuff that I didn't even look at because it didn't interest me.

Steve-0

Posted : 18/03/2007 6:49 pm
(@Anonymous)

What about the Vintage Guitar magazine? Any good?

Posted : 19/03/2007 5:51 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Vintage guitar is more a trade publication dealing with vintage and collectible instruments. Very useful for restorers and people that collect, although it does have some pretty good articles in it.

I probably have around 200 to 300 guitar magazines kicking around the house at any one time. Every day I look at them less and less. And come here more and more. The more music theory I learn, the more I figure out on my own, and the less I sound like a tab book. Heck, maybe I'm developing my own style? :shock:

They still have their uses, useful for finding out that wierd tuning in "The Rain Song" for example. But every time I play the published tabs in them, it always sounds a little "dry", at least to me. Give me a good idea of the progression and let me go. Also, I got a little dependant on reading the tab and I forgot how to listen.

Guitar One always seemed a little simple to me, same with Guitar World. Guitar Techniques is better but is geared more towards the English market than us yanks, makes sense, thats where it's published. Finally, Guitar Player, I've read that mag since the late seventies, and it always kinda went over my head until lately, now I can do without!

I've never really cared about what kind of gear that everyone plays, and I don't have the patience to read about how great this guitar is or that it will change my life forever. But, if you feel that it helps you, then by all means do it.

Yeah, I think that I've bought my last issue of Guitar One! At least until they post in the right forum and apologize! :evil:

My personal feelings are that if you pester me in any way, you don't get my business! Spam is a violation of all our personal space.

Warm and fuzzies to the mods for keeping us happy, I'd make a horrible mod, my solutions run more to the "inappropriate" solutions! :twisted: :twisted:

Addendum, I had a little fling with that little minx of a pick but it just didn't work out, we just couldn't play well together! :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 20/03/2007 3:15 am
Page 2 / 2