The Guitar Songbook Wizard

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@weirdron)
Topic starter

The Guitar Songbook Wizard:

http://www.songbookwizard.com/

This (free) online tool is thought for people, who like to generate songbooks and have not yet found a good replacement for good-old ChordPro. Definitely everything in beta stadium user-interface-wise, but you can already generate very good looking chord sheets, see some examples here:

http://www.powertabs.net/songbook/

Posted : 12/06/2006 12:04 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Looks good, something I'll definately be using. I'll link this from my site once it's going properly (I'm still beta myself, just finalising a few things... a page for external links for one :))

One note from my anything-but-thorough browse:
I'm guessing this is to do with the Beta status (looks like an internal variable that's not been fully parsed into its final readable form), but when you're outputting barres in text you get this "B,0,xb444x,2" for your chord reference at the top of the page, rather than something along the lines of "B: x24442".

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/06/2006 12:19 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

What is the function of tokens? Why are they necessary?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/06/2006 2:37 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If the site is free, why would I need tokens? Will this become a pay-site? Will tokens have to be bought?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 12/06/2006 2:51 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I would guess the tokens allow for band-width management.

If it's a free site, it would suck eggs to have a couple dozen people write up a script to crank out their entire song collection on this format and run it all at once.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 12/06/2006 4:09 pm
(@weirdron)
Topic starter

(1) BARRE NOTATION
I'm guessing this is to do with the Beta status (looks like an internal variable that's not been fully parsed into it's final readable form), but when you're outputting barres in text you get this "B,0,xb444x,2" for your chord reference at the top of the page, rather than something along the lines of "B: x24442".

First off, thanks for the feedback! It's really hard to get it these days... really appreciated.

The syntax is definitely intended the way it is written with the exception of the redundant "0", which I found out only a few hours after the first release. From the next version on, it will be able to drop the 0, but the Barre notation is definitely required. However, you can use both notations, e.g.
Bm,x24432
Bm,xb443b,2

which would result in the following (different) output:

(2) TOKEN SYSTEM
If the site is free, why would I need tokens? Will this become a pay-site? Will tokens have to be bought?

I would guess the tokens allow for band-width management. If it's a free site, it would suck eggs to have a couple dozen people write up a script to crank out their entire song collection on this format and run it all at once.

These tokens are really a burdon. I had a hard time considering them at all. Although the site will never become a pay site, I had to add something for the reason kingpatzer already explained. It is very resource-consuming - not even bandwidth consuming! - as the .pdfs are created using different software. I know that this system will scare off many users at the beginning, but once some people started to use it, more people will become aware that requesting tokens is not bad, as privacy is secured to the maximum extent.

Posted : 12/06/2006 5:15 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have a friend who runs off large volumes of PDFs from PHP daily, I'll ask him what he uses - it might be less of a strain on the server than the one you're using...He uses fPDF and it's blisteringly quick - he showed me a couple of really heavy examples being generated (5 odd pages packed full of line-drawn graphs etc.) and they were being spat out in under a second, even with a few being done at a time.

We noticed that it looks you're doing them in Latex (which he's familiar with) and converting them, but he thinks there's probably enough commonality between the two so as not to require a major rewrite to use fPDF, and that it would use only a tiny fraction of the server resources you're currently consuming.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/06/2006 10:54 pm
(@weirdron)
Topic starter

Okidoki! Completely revamped the site. If you didn't like it so far, chances are high, you'll do now :wink:

http://www.songbookwizard.com/

The examples have been moved to

http://www.powertabs.net/songbook/

Enjoy. Thanks again for all comments in the past and for all future comments in advance!

Posted : 16/09/2006 6:46 pm
(@Anonymous)

I tried this 5 times with various tabs I have and I never got a PDF? I am using FireFox..is it compatible?

Posted : 16/09/2006 8:07 pm
(@weirdron)
Topic starter

I tried this 5 times with various tabs I have and I never got a PDF? I am using FireFox..is it compatible?

Please check out the examples. You cannot simply take some tab from somewhere and put it into the Wizard. There's a special syntax you'd have to follow. This is the price for getting beautiful PDF :)

Posted : 17/09/2006 6:35 am