Clear all

2 15 watt  or 1 30 watt?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'd like a system flexible for bedroom to the average pub/bar coffeehouse senario.  Presuming I can ever get up the courage to take this out of the bedroom.

Should I buy 2 15 watts plus multifx.

Or should I just get a 30 watt plus multifx for now?

What are the benefits drawbacks of both?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I say a 30 watt with effects for now and later get another 30 watt with a zoom505 or a A/B switch. the A/B switch lets you use two amps at once  or either one.  Not sure what exactly the zoom505 does, but forrock_star is always hyping it, probably some effects and has two outputs which lets you go to two amps.  I don't think two 15's would give you the power you need to do a small bar.  Two 30's would and you would get a nice fat sound.  All IMO.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The zoom505, like pretty much every other multi-effect unit, has a left and right line-out. This can get some really nice effects, like delay's that pan from the left to right amp, and stuff like that.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The problem isn't a matter of finding the right amp and effects, it's a matter of truly understanding the true basics of tone, and the real understanding the alternation of EQ settings and distortion stages, also understanding the products that enable you to dial or tweak in any amount of preamp distortion and the amount of power-tube saturation it will take to achieve that tone at any speaker volume level.

So I don't step on toe's or recommend any certain piece of equipment, I would say go out and spend at least 6 figures on equipment, that should put you in the ball park of almost sounding professional. No matter what venue your asked to perform at. If anything with that amount of equipment you could always do a villi manili..lol

guitar - eq - Comp/Wah/effects - eq -  tube preamp -
tube power amp - good attenuator - guitar speaker cabinets.
Mikes - submixer - rack effects+midi - power- amps - speakers

Before some jump to conclusion about this answer,
my real answer has been discussed privately.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I hope no one thinks I was being rude with my comments about forrock_star and a seeming passion for the zoom505.  :-[  And I wish I had 6 figures for equipment myself, I think I could do a little better than Milli Vanilli ;)  I love tweaking my two amps, a Crate 30 watt with multi effects built in and a Marshall 30 watt.  There are different settings that I prefer for different types of music, but it is great to experiment with the sounds, which is a great way to learn about what different kind of sounds you can get between the 2 amps.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote