Acoutic amp or P.A?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,
Just wondering what your thoughts are on Acoustic Amps.I got a few solo gigs coming up in summer and I'm wondering whether or not I should get a dedicated acoustic amp.I usually just run my guitar through the P.A.I've tried a few amps in store but its almost impossible to compare them to my P.A.Also there always seems to be a lot of acoustic amps for sale on ebay,is this because people are not happy with them?

Any advice much appreciated.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Since you already have a PA it doesn't make much sense to buy an acoustic amp. Then again it might be easier to carry a small acoustic amp than a PA. It would depend on your needs. There's nothing wrong with acoustic amps that isn't wrong with anything else, there are good ones and bad. I have a Crate CA6110DG and I think it is an excellent piece of equipment. It serves me very well in the small rooms I play in (up to 150 seats).

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Tim. A nice acoustic amp with XLR input for a mic is very convenient for small gigs or get togethers. You don't have to carry heavy speakers and cables, and all the other fuss with setting up a PA.

It is nice to travel light. :D

I would look for an amp with at least 60 watts power. This should provide plenty of clean volume to play most anywhere.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote