Skip to content
solid state distort...

Notifications
Clear all

solid state distortion..is it always like this?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi...just wanna ask..i have the Hughes n kettner amp..blue edition 30 ..it's solid state..just wanna ask you..everytime i turn on the distortion is not clear..i mean, it just want sounds good..i don't know what the english word for it..but i can say the distortion doesn't kick'n...or in other words ( maybe,sorry for my poor english) the sound is dampened...
are the ss amp always like this? or is it because i don't manage the eq,gain n volume that well?
or should i boost it with some distortion pedal like sd 1-mt2 or something like that..?
thx for the answers.. :)

(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member

I don't use solid state distortion, but from the amps i've tried out (marshall, crate, etc), it doesn't sound like that.

I would experiment more with the eq some. I would try increasing the mid, slighlty increasing the treble, and slightly dropping the bass.

A good pedal might help. I like the Danelectro metal, and the Snarling Dog Black Dog

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That amp doesn't have that great an overdrive. On the bright side, the clean is pretty good.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I think ya gotta turn it up LOUD...LOUDER...no LOUDER.. CRANK IT UP!!
YEAHHH!!! Thats it....

hehehehehehe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i think i've solved it...just like Dagwood said: i have turn the master volume up...and increase the high.. n got an awesome distortion ( for a ss amp )...thx for all the answers...

but i'm quiet confuse ...why it doesn't really sounds that good at a lower volume? before i do the Dagwood advice..i usually place the master volume only a little n cranck the distortion volume n gain.....why is it turn out bad?(it is very different when i do the opposite : cranck up the master volume n then place the distortion volume n gain at lower level...)

but, i'm in love with it right now...n i'm trying to combine it with my vamp2...
n yes, great clean sound!!! that's actually why i've bought it... :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The Gain control is purely low-power SS electronics, and so can sound bad (but not always). The Volume control includes the output amp, power supply, and speaker, each of which contribute to a more natural distortion, even from SS.

I'd recommend keeping the amp clean and using external distortion pedals...

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I agree with Laz. Set your amps on clean and use an external distortion or overdrive. I am actually using two different means of distortion in my effects chain now. Sometimes, I have them both on, and sometimes only one.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote