Effects Chain Setup...

Notifications
Clear all

Effects Chain Setup?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have question regarding pedals and V-Amp...I just bought the Danelectro Fish-n-Chips EQ Pedal and the Danelectro FAB Chorus pedal along with 2 AC adapters from Music123. It was only $63 and free shipping. I also got a Danelectro Surf & Turf Compressor/Susstainer and the Pastrami Overdrive pedal from ebay NEW at less than half the retail price (I just couldn't resist!

My question is where do they go in regards to my V-Amp and the Virtualizer Pro I already have? Currently this is the way my chain looks (I hope you can make sense of my diagram!):

I figured that the EQ pedal would come after the V-Amp bud I didn't know where to put the other pedals. Feel free to suggest alternatives to my current setup.

Thanks

(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

i'm not really familiar with what a V-Amp does (more of a tube amp guy myself) but i'd say you probably want to put them in front of it so that you get the preamp stuff out of the way before going into what would be your "amp". make any sense? i'm just kind of shooting in the dark here, so it'd probably be better to wait and see what someone else has to say that has experience with these sort of things.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm... this is a tough one.

First of all, there is no right or wrong to all of this. Ten different people would likely give you ten different answers. So you just have to experiment for yourself.

It kind of depends on what you are trying to achieve as well. I would normally say to put the Chorus pedal and EQ pedal through your Effects Loop on your amp. I do not know how this would affect what you do however.

I dunno, I can't see using the Overdrive and Compression pedals with the V-Amp. I have tried this type of thing before. I have used a clean Fender setting on my Zoom GFX-1. Then I went into my Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive. I thought it would work well but I got all sorts of hum and hiss. Normally this Overdrive pedal is extremely quiet. I didn't experiment, perhaps I could have tweaked the GFX-1 to reduce this noise. But I really didn't want to change settings I had worked on a long time to achieve.

So, I would use the Overdrive and Compression pedals seperate. Maybe put them before the V-Amp but bypass the V-Amp to use them. But who knows? Perhaps you can place them after the V-Amp to boost a clean (or even distorted) preset. Just experiment.

But usually, distortions and overdrives do not sound too great through an Effects Loop. They usually sound better before the amp. However, modulations like Chorus, or time effects like Delay do sound better through an Effects Loop. And EQ's sound good through an Effects Loop because they allow you to fine tune or tweak the tone going to the Power section of your amp.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Wow -- you really have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)!!!

You have two different rigs:
The Behringer is being used as a stereo amp (not as a guitar amp)
The V-Amp is being used as a preamp with an amp simulator

The easiest way would be to put the analog pedals before the V-Amp,
and set the V-amp to your favorite clean setting - Fender/Marshall/Jazz chorus/etc.

Unfortunately, you will be digitizing your sound that way.
The V-amp converts analog into digital, and then back into analog for output.

You could also use the preamp you have in front of the computer for the pedals.
Then you'd have two rigs - the V-amp, and the pedals into the preamp.
Your mixer should have an output suitable for the computer.
The idea would be to have a completely analog signal path.

Some people use two rigs in stereo (with a chorus pedal)

The other concept to understand is line level vs. instrument level.
Instruments need to be amplified to get up to line level.
That's one of the reasons we need some kind of preamp.
(The other reason is coloring the sound)

Did this help?
Does it make sense?

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Wow -- you really have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)!!!

You have two different rigs:
The Behringer is being used as a stereo amp (not as a guitar amp)
The V-Amp is being used as a preamp with an amp simulator

The easiest way would be to put the analog pedals before the V-Amp,
and set the V-amp to your favorite clean setting - Fender/Marshall/Jazz chorus/etc.

Unfortunately, you will be digitizing your sound that way.
The V-amp converts analog into digital, and then back into analog for output.

You could also use the preamp you have in front of the computer for the pedals.
Then you'd have two rigs - the V-amp, and the pedals into the preamp.
Your mixer should have an output suitable for the computer.
The idea would be to have a completely analog signal path.

Some people use two rigs in stereo (with a chorus pedal)

The other concept to understand is line level vs. instrument level.
Instruments need to be amplified to get up to line level.
That's one of the reasons we need some kind of preamp.
(The other reason is coloring the sound)

Did this help?
Does it make sense?

I am intrigued by your reply PRNDL! However, I also use the V-Amp for my distortion and reverb so wouldn't it be better to put the pedals AFTER the V-Amp? The reason I bypass the Amp's preamp is that I use the V-Amp for my effects and don't want to use the amp's effects. HOWEVER, after reading your reply I just may change this a bit and just have a clean channel set on my amp. That way I can put it into the effects loop of my amp and the Virtualizer into the effects loop of the mixer.

Man, I'll tell you this can make your head spin!

Thanks also to Wes and jtb226 for your replies! I am still open to suggestions!

Thanks

ReplyQuote