Clear all

Almost Got It I Would.........

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Like some advice on tweaking my sound and my effects just a little.

I go from my Tele with texas custom neck and Dimarzio Chopper Bridge to a Morley Little Alligator Volume: to a Dyna Comp: To a Boss Blues Driver: To a Boss Super Chorus: To a Boss Noise Suppressor: To my Peavey Transtube.

I have my tube set on Vintage and I do get a pretty decent "tube sound" not true tube. Bass is 10, Mids are about 7-8 Highs are 5-6.

I have pretty much the clean tone i want, My crunch is set for more power ballad, crying style instead of distortion. (not to much concernred about he chorus its not used TOO much). Any tips on how to get that CRY AND MOAN. Sorta like Jeff Healy or Kenctuck Head Hunters(i.e. "Too Much To Lose")????

Oh and my volume pedal just got it, should it be infront of my effects, or after them?? I need it to do steel guitar licks, play some rythm, then kick it up over the band for a lead part. How should I set the minimum volume??

Thanks any input on these questions i will take into great consideration.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

leear

I don't know those songs, so I can't give any advice on your tone.

As for the volume pedal, I do own one and have experimented with it a lot. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, I like to run the volume pedal through the effects loop, even if I have all effects running straight into the guitar input.

I could be wrong on all this, but it sounds a little different to me doing it this way.

When you put your volume pedal in front of your effects, it is just the same as turning your guitar volume down. The only advantage is that you can use your foot instead of having to reach down with your hand while you play. This is good, but the effect is the same. So you get a reduced signal going to the effects to begin with.

If you place the volume pedal after the effects, you get a reduced signal going to the preamp of your amp.

However, when you place the volume pedal in the effects loop, you have a full signal from the guitar, effects, and preamp going to the power section of your amp.

The advantage is that you can maintain the amount of distortion and sustain you have dialed in. You can lower the volume without the distortion cleaning up.

Now, this may not be what you want. Perhaps you want to have distortion with full volume and then clean it up by dropping volume. If so, use the pedal in front of effects.

This is all just a personal opinion, others may disagree. But I have experimented and think I hear a notable difference.

Anyway, try it and see what you think.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote