Clear all

amp for dorm room

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

what amp do you guys suggest for a dorm room, that sounds great and is suitable for travel?

Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i forgot to mention that i intend to purchase a line 6 pod, so an amp that will sound great with that. I found an amp that was made for the line 6 pod at http://www.atomicamps.com it supposed to come out this fall so if the price is right i'll check out.

please post any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you found an amp that was made for the line 6 pod, since the line 6 pod will work with any guitar amp.  Unless you mean the amp can cover a wide range of sounds that the pod can produce... be it a Marshall stack or a Fender Blackface or a Mesa Boogie or a british Vox.

Since you will be in a dorm room you won't need a lot of volume, nor do you want too nice of an amp sitting in your dorm room.  Since the line 6 is a modeling device, with effects, you won't need a bunch of effects on your amp, so don't look for features so much as just good quality.  Buy as much amp as you can, for the money that you have to spend, without all the bells and whistles.  This could mean a larger speaker, more watts, or simply a better name brand.

My suggestion would be for a Fender Blues Jr.  For a 15 watt combo amp, that little thing can really sing!  But hey, it's TUBE!  And by having a small tube amp you can warm that line 6 up a bit, and it will not sound so processed.  I've seen a couple of local musician's use that combination of multi-effect/amp modeling device with the Blues Junior in small venues and it sounds very, very good.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I second the Blues Junior. Very nice for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats defiantly like a great little amp.
I've never used one. I did find the manual on-line and read it.

I wouldn't be afraid to play out with it, Mic it in the console and you'll run with the big dogs.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the responses guys

i'll look into the fender, i went to samash the other day and i really liked the sound of fender amps

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

how much watts should i buy?

ReplyQuote
(@tone4days)
Eminent Member

if you dont expect to jam out loud with other players, the pod all by itself through headphones will be enough to jam and practice with ... another idea is to use a small stereo system that has a 'line in' feature .. you can come out of the pod and use the stereo to be able to hear it .. given the pod's speaker simulation, you'll be surprised to hear how good it sounds through a regular stereo system

worth a try - could end up saving yourself some money and space - two things that college students are usually short on

good luck

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

15 watts of "TUBE" sound is way more then 15 watts of solidstate sound.  I don't know what the ratio is of tube watts versus solid state watts, but it's alot.  

The Fender Blues Jr. will be more then enough most of the time... or you can mic it if it does not have a line out, to run it into the mixer and out the PA speakers.

I have a 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb in my basement studio, and the volume knob is usually on 2 - 3.  I was all set to buy a Blues Jr. last summer, when I won an auction on eBay unexpectedly for my Deluxe.  With minor work and expense, it's worth much, much more.

I'd still like to get a Blues Jr. since it's much easier to haul around, but I'm not giving up my vintage Deluxe.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

what do u guys think about fender princeton amps?

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Princely!  My guitar instructor takes one to his blues and jazz gigs all the time.  A lot more money then the Blues Jr., but not much bigger.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote