Clear all

Rockman

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anybody remember a thing called Rockman?

It was like an extremely small device size of a walkman that you could plug your electric guitar into and get some cool sounds out of.  It was like a mini amplifier with effects.  I think it was invented by Tom Scholtz of the group Boston.

Is it still available?

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, but new one Dunlap puts out now, doesn't even sound close to the old X-100's.

The newer ones don't have the light emitting diode that was was to create the delay effect that the X-100 did. thats make a big difference in sound. I also don't think the have the EQ set right.

They tryed to make do with some kind of compressor delay to cut cost.
(don't think really wanted to pay for the copyrighted diode effect).

You can still find them on ebay, if possible find one that someone hasn't opened. reason is if someone opened it and wasn't real careful doing it the small wires 12 of them that connect the two half's break easy.

What is great about the Rockmans is that they can run Quad. By using both stereo outs you run into a mixer on 4 channels, then by panning the channels to different settings you can create a sound field that will make it sound like your playing is coming from a different location than the speakers. an illusion, A hologram of sound I call it.
Everyone is so use to hearing sound coming directly from a speaker, by moving it, and the sound is coming from a foot off center really makes them think, and ask who'd you do that.

Plus creates a sound field that just plain sounds great.
Joe

ReplyQuote