Clear all

Amp suggestions welcome!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lucam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm about to buy my second amp, and it would be great for me to have some advice before going to the shop :-)
I have a telecaster, a distortion and a delay pedal, I like to play lots of different stuff, but mainly reggae and pop/rock.
I'm looking for a really good clean tone, and I don't need power at all, since I use it only at home and need to keep the volume very low.
My budget is 300$ max.
Please give me some suggestion, otherwise I will have to trust only the salesman....
Thanks a lot everybody!

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Two modelling amps worthy of consideration: VOX AD30VT and Roland Cube 30. I have the VOX, I use the Roland at my lessons. They both have really good clean tones as well as good distortions.

One very nice feature of the VOX, since you want to play at low volumes: it has a tube pre-amp, some modeling circuitry and apparently a neutral power amp. There is a knob in the back that lets you set the power level of the neutral power amp. So, you can crank up the rest of the controls and still play at low volumes. I have it set at around the 30% mark, and I often play at night downstairs when the rest of the family is sleeping upstairs.

Lots of people like the Behringer stuff as well, I don't have any experience with those.

(PS. If you get the VOX, get the optional foot pedal as well. That will bring you to around $270-280 + tax).

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like this new Behringer V-Ampire LX210.

Behringer V-Ampire LX210

Great price, and lots of features. I went down and played the single 12 inch model one day and was very impressed. This is a great sounding amp. But I would go with the 2 X 10 model to take advantage of the stereo effects this amp offers. It has a great clean channel. And being solid state it will sound good at any volume. But this amp has enough power for small gigs if that comes up in the future. This is a very versatile amp in case you want to record through your computer or add midi etc.... Fantastic bang for the buck.

My 2 cents. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

With so many different amps on the market each having their own sound makes it hard for me to recommend any particular brand, what may sound good and work for myself may not be what your searching for. The best thing to do is to try as many as you can until you find the one that creates the tone your wanting. Try to leave enought funds to allow for an equalizer to go with your new amp.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everybody, I am seriously considering the VOX. An alternative will be a line 6 spider II.
I think I'll let my ears decide anyway

ReplyQuote