Clear all

Tube Amp Volume

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about buying a "real" amp and finally get rid of my 15watt Crate "practice" amp.

I'd like to buy a tube amp, maybe a Fender Deluxe, but I don't want to have to crank the thing all the way to get the thick blues sound that I'd like. Is it possible to get good crunchy distortion from a Fender Deluxe at low practice volumes?

Anyway, I'm not completely sold on a tube amp. I was thinking that I could live with a solid state amp with modeling and/or pedal effects. The advantages are that I wouldn't have to spend so much. A 15W Fender Pro tube amp goes for about $300! It has no reverb, and no footswitch. On the other hand, for about the same price, I can get a Fender FM 212R which is 100W, has reverb and 3 channels. The review says that you can dial in the distortion for "Rock, Punk, Blues...". This is just an example. There are many diffent amps at that price range that would probably fill my needs.

One other thing that I'd like to see in my new amp is 2 inputs. My son plays guitar and I'd like us both to be able to plug into one amp while we practice. It saves space and we only have to mess with one amp to get the sound we want. And we can still use a stomp box if one of us wants to play with a different sound.

Just looking for some opinions.

(@rocker)
Noble Member

you are not going to get alot of distortion from a fender hot rod deluxe at any volume
with out a stomp box, they are famous for there clean sound, i have the deville and i bought it for that sweet clean sound, which i personnaly have not found with any other amp, if your
looking for distortion with out a stomp box, go with marshall or peavey, with any tube amp
to get that great sound , you have to hit saturation, to get that with out blowing the roof of your house and your ear drums you need an attenuator

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I disagree with all these folks who say you have to have a tube amp cranked up into "saturation" to sound good. Yeah, that's a cool sound, and it's nice to do now and then. I play with tube amps all the time, usually at low volumes, and if I want some "crunch" it's from turning up the gain a bit so the "preamp" stages are distorting. That sounds good, too.

You may not want a tube amp. There are some very nice sounding solid state amps these days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Brother Rocker speaks the truth
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_low_volume_fat/

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Haha, this is quite the debate...I support ricochet!
I play with tube amps at low volumes all of the time, and IMO even preamp distortion at low volumes sounds better than any solid-state amp. As far as fender's current line of tube amps, I play with one quite regularly, and have no proplem with distortion from it, even at low volumes. Just make sure that your tube amp has a "gain" control, or a "master volume"!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Whats needed is a true understanding the of tone and what it takes to create. The real emphasis and true foundation is the alternation of Equalizers, distortion stages, attenuators, and the right amount of power-tube saturation, at any speaker volume level. Many have read about how I utilize numerous amps and equalizers for my over all tone, and is at low to no volume. I start with a equalizer and drive a 100 watt tube amp into a dummyload which results in a line level out. Which has no volume. The final out come is that I combine several different signal chains to create one over all sound.

Each one's volume is only loud enough to enhance each other. With the use of microphone's and power amps is how I achieve volume. But the main tone is at line level or 1 volt. You have to get serious about the number of components required to achieve a great signal chain.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, obviously it depends on the kind of music you want to play. I don't care to play, or continuously listen to, stuff that's always at power stage saturation. But in some genres that's appropriate.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I like to play blues, clasic rock, heavy metal, old country. After browsing some other posts, and considering all of your opinions, I think I'm leaning AWAY from the modeling amps. I have a Digitech RP80 right now and it was great to play around with when I first got it and once in a while I fool with it, but now I mostly only use it to get a tube amp sound. If I start playing around with it, I find that I spend most of my practice time trying to get a cool sound out of it.

I think simple is better for me so that I can concentrate more on my practicing and less playing around. So I'm leaning towards the tube amp (Fender Deluxe) or a good all-around solid state (Fender FM 210R) and a couple stomp boxes.

Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dnukom

If you are thinking about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or the new Blues Deluxe Reissue, I say get it. Both amps are very similar, 1 X 12 and 40 watts. The HRD has the "hot rodded" Drive and More Drive channels, the BD has the classic Drive. Many people are not so happy with the HRD's Drive channels. I own one and think they are good, just very retro sounding, much like the distortions you heard in the late 60's or early 70's (Classic Rock tone). The Blues Deluxe Drive is just what it implies, a great Blues overdrive. This has a milder breakup. Sounds great, if you like the Blues you will love it.

Both of these amps have a very good clean channel and are very effects friendly. And both amps sound good at low volumes, although the louder you play them the better they sound. :D

The volume on these amps comes on very quick. You go from barely audible at 1 to LOUD at 2. Some people complain about this, but it simply takes getting used to. I am very used to making very small adjustments on my HRD and have no trouble at all getting good volume whether quiet or loud.

I love my HRD, but I would recommend the Blues Deluxe. The Drive channel is awesome. You can always get modern distortions with a pedal.

An attenuator is very useful with these amps. I own a Weber 50W Low Power Load Dump. It is inexpensive and works great.

Weber Attenuators

With this attenuator you can easily play at bedroom levels without disturbing anyone.

Both the HRD and BD have two instrument inputs, so you and your son can both plug in and play at once.

These are great sounding and good quality amps, you can't go wrong with either one.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like to play blues, clasic rock, heavy metal, old country. After browsing some other posts, and considering all of your opinions, I think I'm leaning AWAY from the modeling amps. I have a Digitech RP80 right now and it was great to play around with when I first got it and once in a while I fool with it, but now I mostly only use it to get a tube amp sound. If I start playing around with it, I find that I spend most of my practice time trying to get a cool sound out of it.

I think simple is better for me so that I can concentrate more on my practicing and less playing around. So I'm leaning towards the tube amp (Fender Deluxe) or a good all-around solid state (Fender FM 210R) and a couple stomp boxes.

Thanks for your help.

Im with you re: that Rp80. same damn experience.
I run my rig thry a Fender Vibrolux Custom. sure aat half volume I get major tone...the amp really begins to wake up.
but I play at normal volumes most times using a modded tubescreamer.
I love the sound of tube amps. I am truly biased that way. I jam all the time with guys who swear by their solid state Polytone amps. I think the sound is too dry and scratchy.

try out a few amps. both tube and solid state and compare to define your taste.

note to forock star...you have an amazing understanding of your rig. props to you man. nice .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

After numerous amps, separate modelers and amps with modeling, the final setup I have that I love is my Carvin Vintage tube amp with a Weber attenuator that Wes is always recommending.

I have the amp about 3/4 up and adjust my volume to suit using the attenuator. Awesome.

All of my other stuff is now collecting dust. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i have a weber also. it might be just me, but the sound of a good tube amp at saturation with a good eq sounds like heaven.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes it does. Then combine a few of them together to create one over all sound....

You'll pass right through the gates, don't pay the ferry man till he gets you to the other side.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You'll pass right through the gates, don't pay the fairy man till he gets you to the other side.
Hey Joe, I think you mean the ferry man. :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thanks. That could have turned into a disaster. Would never heard the end of it....lol

Joe

ReplyQuote