Clear all

Another Speaker....

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@twins)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok..I have a marshall mg100hdfx head right ? and it was 2 output thingos for a speaker cabinet yeah? I have one at the moment ...is that called a half stack where you just have one...quadbox.speaker box/whatever? anyways..... wondering.....If i buy another one and then plug that in so I have 2 plugged in(a full stack) will that DOUBLE the volume? or just make it respectivly louder. the  head is a hundred watts right? so If im running just one of the speakers am I only running 50 watts? help? thanx...
CASPER X

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

am I only running 50 watts?  With more speakers = moving more air

No. your still running at 100 watts. Most solid state amps will allow you to go above the lowest ohm load but usually not  below the lowest ohm load. ..but  check with the amps owners manual or contact the amp company for advice for their particular amp.

The MG100HDFX Head has two speaker sockets for connection to either 1 or 2 external cabinets. Ensure the total load impedance is equal to, or exceeds, 4 ohms.

hope this helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@twins)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

how do I check that "total load exceeds 4 ohms?" and ...what does that little button do on the back that says 4 OHMS / - 10 OHMS. i think ?
CASPER X

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Look on the back of your speaker cabinets, it should tell the impedence somewhere, 16 Ohms, 8 Ohms, 4 Ohms, etc...

When you combine cabinets, you get a lower load.

2- 16 Ohms speakers = 8 Ohms load
2-  8 Ohms speakers = 4 Ohms load
2-  4 Ohms speakers = 2 Ohms load

So if both of those cabinets you have are rated 4 Ohms, do not use them with your amp. It will cause your amp to overheat, and could permanently damage it.

I am not an expert on these things, but I've always heard it is not good to combine speakers with different impedence. So if one cabinet is 16 Ohms, and the other 8 Ohms, don't use them together. They will not sound equal. The 8 Ohm cabinet will sound almost twice as loud as the 16.

Ohms is a measurement of resistance. The lower the Ohms, the less resistance to current flow. So if you put 2- 4 Ohms cabinets (2 Ohms load) on your Marshall amp, and it's designed for no less that 4 Ohms, you will get too much current through the amp. It's gonna get real hot!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Can't you connect both speaker-outs to the same 4x12" cab for stereo effects?

ReplyQuote
(@twins)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i dont think you udnerstand qwhat Im askiung..lol I probably phrased it badly.... I mean like......
right ....
my speaker I have....a marshall one ... it says 8 ohms on the back....i attatch mg100 hdfx , yes./? right... ok
well when you turn it past a certain volume..like all amps I guess it starts to sound a bit shit.... what I mean is ...if I attatch another speaker....will I beable to go to THAT VOLUME.....without comprimissing the sound quality....
CASPER XX

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Casper

If you add another identical cabinet, yes, it will split the wattage between the two 50/50. Yes, it will be slightly louder because you are moving more air.

Will it improve your sound? Not necessarily. You say things start to sound crazy? You are probably clipping your amp. You are pushing it harder than it was designed. The amp is sending a clipped and distorted signal to the speakers and that is what you are hearing. Quit doing that. It will ruin your speakers. It doesn't matter how many speakers you add. If you are clipping THE AMP, it will send a clipped signal to all speakers. You will ruin them all.

It has nothing to do with how many watts the speakers are getting. It has to do with the quaility of the signal the speakers are receiving.

So I hope you understand what I'm saying. You are pushing your amp too hard. Come down a little. You are just going to ruin your amp and speakers.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Casper

How 'bout this- an answer from Bob Lee of QSC amplifiers, some of the best, most respected amplifiers in the world. Bob is famous in the world of sound. Here is what he said:

Guitar amps are often meant to be clipped to get a certain sound. Tube amps tend to clip somewhat gradually, as compared to SS, so their distortion sounds a bit richer and pleasant.

If the speakers can handle the power, they won't necessarily get ruined.

If the guitarist in question adds a second identical cabinet, he won't be cutting his "watts" in half. In fact, for a given output voltage from the amp, the power will double. But that could allow him to run the amp at a few dB lower output voltage and get a comparable sound level with less clipping.

-Bob

You can take that to the bank.

ReplyQuote