Clear all

Will this work?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So I wan to use my V-amp to create the tone I want, and then just amplify it. Can I connect the V-amp to a regular amplifier, then connect the amplifier to a speaker cabinet?

This are the specs:

RMS: 2x100W/4ohm, 2x75W/8ohm
RMS mono-bride: 200W/8ohm
Total music power: 400W
Harmonic distortion: 0.003%@1khz
signal/noise ratio: 96dB
Line-in impedance: 22Kohm
Line-in sensitivity: 150mV, 300mV, 950mV

I translated it from Dutch, hope I used the correct words. Anyway, will this work? If so, how much would such an amp be worth (this one costs $75, sounds very cheap to me)

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Which V-amp do you have the one with the amp or without?

The V-amp pro gives you numerous options. the other ones still give you plenty of options also.

Yes,  the 1/4 out works both for balanced and unbalanced cables.  The manual didn't show what outputs it had it made references to these, L & R and a xlr, headphone out. Being it wasn't clear. if it has two 1/4" L&R outs, you could run them to two different amps or channels on a mixer, the xlr outs connect to a mixer xlr ins.

You could get creative. if you have a mixer with 6 inputs and connect all the outputs to the mixer and mix the signals using some pan controls and expand the stereo image. Or connect to two guitar amps and run the xlr's and headphones into the mixer.

Here's an example of one my setups: One pre-amp is connected utilizing all 11 outputs, stereo line outs L&R to a stereo power amp, stereo xlr outs L&R to a mixer, headphone out L&R to the mixer, stereo Loop1 has in and out mono to the mixer and Loop 2 has stereo ins and stereo outs all connected to the mixer.  And a instrument out connected to another Pre-amp connected just like the first one. All these outs and ins are MIDI controlled, which allows me to switch them in an out of the chain in real time.

The from the mixer off to the power amps and guitar stacks. I just like playing around to see what kind of sound or tone I can get or come up with. my old Motto: If I can't plug my Guitar into it I'm not interested..LOL

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Promedics

What is the make of model of that amplifier? Yes, it does sound very cheap.

That is really two amplifiers. Each side will deliver 100W into a 4 Ohm load, or 75W into a 8 Ohm load. So check the Ohms rating of your speakers.

You could put 1- 4 Ohms speaker on each side. Each speaker will receive 100 Watts.

You could put 2 - 8 Ohms speakers on each side. 2- 8 Ohms speakers in parallel equals a 4 Ohm load. In this case, each speaker would get 50 Watts.

You could put 1- 8 Ohms speaker on each side. Each speaker will get 75 Watts.

Whatever you do, you do not want to go below 4 Ohms load on either side.

I don't know the V-Amp, but I'm sure it has two outs so you can get stereo effects. You just go out of these to the 2 inputs for each side of your amp. Now you will be able to get stereo effects. You will have to adjust each side of the amp to get equal volume.

If you only have one speaker cabinet, You could run that off one side of your amp. But, you will not get stereo effects.

Let us know the make and model of that amp.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have the V-amp2, not the V-amp2 pro or the V-ampire (the one with 12" speaker+amp attached). It has one headphone out, and two 1/4 L/R outs.

The amp is a 'velleman K4005', which is a Dutch brand of various audio/visual technology. It isnt actually designed specifically for a guitar, so thats why I ask all this.

I havent got a speaker cab yet, and I am looking what is possible. For example, a 4x12" cab won't fit in my bedroom. 2  1x12" cabs are easier to handle then 1 2x12" cab.

Oh, is a 2x12" always parallel?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Promedics

I looked that up, that is a Car Stereo amplifier.

http://www.megatronics.lk/products/velleman/amplifiers/k4005.htm

If you do not own it already, I would not purchase that.
If you do, and you can figure out how to power it up at home ( I am not an electronics guy, but you would have to have some device that converts your AC current to work with this Car amp), you could use it. It will probably not sound too great though. Guitar amps are designed specifically for guitar.

PA heads work well for guitar however. You could use one of those. But make sure it is stereo and has stereo inputs. Otherwise you will not be able to take advantage of the stereo effects the V-Amp2 provides.

I am pretty sure that a 2 X 12 is wired parallel. I will check to make sure. You do not have to worry about that too much. On the cabinet, it should quote the total Ohms. If it says 8 Ohms, it is probably 2- 16 Ohms speakers in parallel.

I am ASSUMING you want to get stereo effects. You are going to need 2 independent speakers for that. Even if you could rig a 2 X 12 to play stereo, what good would it be? The speakers are only a few inches apart.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ouch, thanks for clearing that up. Shows how little I know about all this stuff  :-[

And yes, I do want, if possible, two seperate speakers. Not only will it sound better (yes, I do want to use the stereo stuff!), but it is also a lot easier to place in my room :)

Oh, I am even more stupid when PA systems are concerned. What would be a decent and relatively cheap PA system that I could use? I checked our local dealer, but those things were going over 1000W. Seems a little pointless to me...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Promedics

You could purchase 2 inexpensive guitar practice amps. You would just run the Left output to one amp and the Right output to the other. Have both amps at the same volume and settings (go with a clean setting). Voila Stereo!

You could get that panning Jimi Hendrix did with slide guitar on All Along the Watchtower. Starts with one speaker, crosses the room to the other, and back again. Awesome!

That is probably the best way to go.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah, then I'll go back to plan A:

2x Behringer GM110 amps.

Thanks for your help guys, much apreciated. (and saved me some money I could have spend on that car stereo thing :D)

ReplyQuote