Any thoughts on this one?

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480684/

Seems like a very sweet deal. Any thoughts?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Just be aware this is not a true tube amp, but a hybrid, with a 12ax7 in the preamp section only. This is capable of giving you preamp distortion, but not power amp saturation. That said, probably not a bad little solid state amp.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey, that's a great price for a 60W amp with effects even if it is solid state. The tube in the pre-amp does add some tube tone and warmth.

I read all the reviews and the vast majority were very pleased with this amp. It should be just loud enough to gig at small and maybe even medium clubs as well. For bigger venues you could mic it.

I'm a tube amp guy, but if I had an extra $150 now, I think I would go for that. I own Behringer PA gear and I love it. My bass player had the Behringer 300W bass amp and he was very pleased as well.

At that price you can hardly lose.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It ain;t the greatest amp by a long shot, but $150 is a steal. It's over $330 here...

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well i finally got a workign one after some problems with shipping. It's pretty nice, especially for the price.

It is very, very loud.

Bout my only peeve is that, at least with the footswitch it came with. There is a slight delay between channels when you press on the button. Makes it a little less flexible as far as mixing heavy distortion with somethign a bit lighter.

( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

E. Sherman

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. I hate that delay between presets. But to be fair it is not just Behringer. I owned a Digitech RP-12 processor and a Zoom multi-effects processor and they had that same delay. The other guitar player in my band has a Yamaha multi-effects unit and he said it has a short delay as well. So perhaps that is something all of these types of units have in common.

I found you have to step on the pedal a slight second before the change. Kind of wierd because when you are playing music you get in the groove with the beat and this kinda threw me off, especially when singing.

Oh well, what you gonna do?

I wonder if anyone has had experience with the MIDI pedal you can hook up to these amps. If so, does it eliminate the delay?

Doesn't the pedal you have turn effects on and off? If so, you could get a nice clean channel with whatever effects you want and perhaps just turn distortion on and off. There is no delay with this. That would be good if you could program it to turn just a specific effect on and off.

If it will do that I would be interested to know. I am kinda interested in these Behringer amps and might even buy one soon.

Congrats on your new amp! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wes: it depends. usually MIDI won;t get rid of delay between switching digital modeling, but multiple effect-editing tend to be faster. Doubt it would work well with channel switching with this amp though.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

" If so, you could get a nice clean channel with whatever effects you want and perhaps just turn distortion on and off."

That's just the thing. The footswitch included has two buttons. One switiches between the clean and lead channels, the other button turns the effects on( which can be different for each channel).

The odd thing is there is delay switching distortion on or off.

One thing I noticed is that this amp is big and loud. It's 60 watts, but we have a 120 watt fender amp at our school for jazz band and it is smaller than this amp. And it is very loud.

For $150, it certainly seems good, espeically if I can buy a distortion pedal so I don't have to worry about that delay.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks like a great deal for that amp, plus ths having the option of effects. You really can't go wrong. If possible set it up to turn effects off and on from within the preset, that will work around any kind of switching lag between presets. when changing effects.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The way its set up is Channel 1 (clean) with an effect either on or off. Channel 2 (overdrive) with a different effect eitehr on or off. The channel switch(on the foot switch) switches between channels, and the effects switch( on the footswitch) switches the effect either on or off.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I know what Joe is saying. That is how I used my old Digitech live. I would find a nice preset that had a good distortion AND clean channel I liked. I could turn the distortion on or off. Other effects could be turned on or off within that single preset as well. There was no delay whatsoever with this. I would usually program these presets with all of the effects off and then just turn distortion or effects on or off when I needed them.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I cant see how i could do it with this one. If you think it's possible, would it be too much to take a look at the manual? It explains the effects layout better than I can.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just to clarify, there is NO delay between turning the effects on or off, but there IS a delay between switiching channels. Durning this delay, the sound cuts out. :(

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I have this thing... Its ok. I am getting something new soon but its plenty loud for what I need. Im changing due to sound quality. Getting myself a tube amp. I dont much like this one for a few reasons...

1. It buzzes at high volumes which i tried to remedy with some electrical tape (or tape of similar thickness) around the chassis, it worked to an extent but not totally.

2. the effects arent that great but its worth 150 bucks (maybe not 250 bucks which is what i paid...) but it is a good amp for the price. It suited me for what I needed at the time.

3. I dont know but i got bored of making this list.

Other than that the amp is nice, plenty loud. Works well enough. I dont use the footswitch really.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I didn't get that buzz, I guess I was lucky. But I agree with you on everything else. The price is a great deal, but the amp itself is just....blah.

Mabye I can make a profit off of it since I got it so low. That would be nice. 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2