Clear all

audition coming up -- need advice on sound

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the guidance. I had a request for Michelle so I had to learn it.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've moved your question over to the live sound forum. You'll get better advice there.

Hey, folks, this is a post I split off from another thread. Can you check out the second part of the post and advise Sapho about how to handle the sound issues?

Thanks!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Are the skips and noises in the master? I wouldn't let anyone fresh out of a school master a cd. Usually these guys have to spend a good amount of time gofering at a studio before they get to do their own work. They say it takes twenty years to become an audio engineer (unless of course you are particiularly talented.). I wouldn't give him a second chance unless you are willing to sit through the project with him and critique. (normaly not recommended but in this case you probably have more experience.) As far as the audition goes, seems like you're s.o.l. Don't play anything but nylon till the audition. Use your nail as a pick. Practice perfection. Or borrow a Steel string. Bout all you could do i guess.

Ciao neighbor and all the best.

hue

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@blackwater)

I play my Classical guitar in church and I can relate a bit....I both play and sing.

you say this arena doesn't allow amplification yet there is a PA system with speakers....

What we do in my church is I have an instrument mike directed toward the body of my guitar..the mike goes into the PA system, standard setup....we can adjust the sound levels but it isn't what I would call amplification. You may need to experiment a bit with the mike and your body position to determine what works best for you.

And unless you're playing with a bunch of other folks you should be able to hear yourself perfectly fine.....I play next to a piano and another guitar plus a bunch of vocalists and I can hear myself just fine.

Good luck...BW

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Phew that's another stressful audition experience over. Thanks to the GN folks for the advice. The auditon went just as I expected. I couldn't hear the resonance or the depth in the sound from the microphone so I over-compensated by plucking too heavily and generally not playing as sharp as I could if I were to relax and just trust in the sound effects.
Even when people said it was good I have to go by what I feel. Unless I hear an optimal sound quality while I'm performing I don't give a good performance. Hopefully next year I'll have a new guitar with the wireless pickup in the bridge. And that should solve the problem.
Cheers!

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The "stethoscope" pick-up is actually a stick-on piezo thingy that works quite well. You can plug it into any guitar amp or PA. Some people worry about some residue from the soft-sticky stuff, but it shouldn't be a problem on finished wood. Lots of musicians use them on mandolins and violins and such. They can be quite inexpensive. There is a brand called "Hot Dot" that is about $30US.

As for your audition, it's obvious that you and they were out of sync. They only wanted loud strumming steel-stringed guitars, not your elegant picking on a classical guitar. Next time, I would contact the administrators in advance and tell them what you need. All you require is a second microphone, no big deal. If that's too much for them, then perhaps you should reconsider whether this is a good fit for you.

-Laz

ReplyQuote