Clear all

Bass Amp/Cab question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm shopping for a new bass rig and I think I might go for a head/cab instead of a combo. So now you know this is going to be a question about ohms right? :lol: Well, it's actually about Watts :wink: There is a ton of information on the Internet about this stuff and I've read a lot about it, but I"m confused about one thing.

I'm thinking about buying a Hartke 2500:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTK2500
It says - Power: 250 watts at 4 ohms, 180 watts at 8 ohms.

So my question is, if I buy a cab that handles 200 watts at 8 ohms like this one:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTK210XL
It will handle the Hartke 2500 just fine because at 8 ohms the amp only puts out 180 watts.
But can I add another cab that handles 200 watts at 8 ohms, or will I have to get rid of the first one and buy two that handle more than 250 watts each?

In other words, is it the sum of the two cabs (200+200=400)>(250) or does each have to handle greater than 250 alone?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're exactly right about the power ratings of the speakers adding up. The ohmage is different. If the cabs are wired in parallel, two 8 ohm speakers will give you 4 ohms. If you were to wire them in series, you'd have 16 ohms.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It is the sum . The power being sent to the two eight ohm cabinets will be divided equally to each cabinet which present a 4 ohm load to the amplifier (wired parallel) . Each speaker would essentially be getting 125 watts from the amp so you have some headroom , which is a good thing .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

And remember that you can usually overpower a speaker cabinet. A 100W cabinet can connect to a 150W or more amp (except for keyboard/organ use). This is because of the dynamics of live music.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the helpful information!

Dave

ReplyQuote