Clear all

Bass and guitar amp?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone tell me of an amp that will handle guitar and allow me to play my bass through it also? I am looking for a combo type amp, I have a Crate MX65 but I am afraid of playing bass through it for fear of blowing the speaker. It is a 15" Crate special purpose speaker. It handles the bass okay at low volumes but just not sure of what will happen when I go loud. I really don't want to have to replace it. There is also a speaker out jack on the amp. Should I just buy a bass speaker and use it like a stack? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I couldn't find any info on the mx 65, but basically yes, you can get an extension cab specifically designed for bass (bass driver, closed back cabinet) and simply plug it in. You might want to unplug the combo's internal speaker so none of the bass frequencies go through it. In other words you'd then be using the mx as just the 'head' of the amp, with the output going through the bass cabinet.

When you want to play guitar through it, you can reverse what you did or just plug the internal speaker back in and run them both at the same time.

ReplyQuote