Clear all

Power Amp In - Fender FM212R

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible to use the "Power Amp In" on my Fender FM212R to plug in an external amp like the "Epiphone Valve Head"? The manual says:

"PRE-AMP OUT and POWER-AMP IN jacks allow you to conenct external effects devices , other amplifiers or sound/recording equipment to your FM212r".
"MULTIPLE AMPS-Connect the primary unit's PRE OUT to the auxiliary unit's PWR IN. The primary unit is used to control all the auxiliary units."

It sounds like that's what it was made for. Although, it may be only for daisy chaining another 212R.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm not familiar with that particular amp, but I'd think that means an input to the power amp of the Fender amp, not an input FROM a power amp. The Valve Junior has no line-out, so you'd have to use a dummy load device that soaks up its power and puts out a line level signal. You can't run tube amps unloaded, which is what you'd be doing if you tried to run its speaker output straight into the input of another amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I don't have either of the amps in question, so take my answer with a grain of salt, but I don't think you want to do that (unless Fender is using non-standard terminology, which is always possible). In my interpretation, it sounds like the PWR IN jack is expecting a line level signal (ie unamplified). The output of the Epi Valve Head is not a line level signal, it's a speaker level signal - ie fully amplified. You don't want to plug that into the input of yet another power stage. You're likely to pop something and let the magic smoke out... :cry:

Oh look, Ric beat me to it... Listen to him, a lot of the most informed comments here in the Amps section come from him. ;)

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You can't do that with the Epi. You need an amp with a line out or effects send. That would go into your fender's power amp in jack. The Epi only has a speaker out jack. That would fry your fender, DON'T DO IT!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I kind of knew that. I think I read about that on the forum somewhere, but I couldn't find it and I wasn't sure about it. Fender's documentation is kind of misleading.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

They do make attenuators you could plug the Valve Junior into and some of those have line outs. The line out from the attenuator could go into the Fender FM. Look in the "saturation" post here. Arjen has done this and it sounds like it works well for him.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

They do make attenuators you could plug the Valve Junior into and some of those have line outs. The line out from the attenuator could go into the Fender FM. Look in the "saturation" post here. Arjen has done this and it sounds like it works well for him.

Thanks TRGuitar. I'll check that out.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, that's how I work. Even the tiniest minimass can handle the Epi, shouldn't cost more then $60 or so used. A recorded example with the epi at full power: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=4633402

The sound quality isn't what I wanted it to be, cheap mics and pre-amps and all but it should give an impression. This was recorded at conversation level, by the way.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey Arjen, that sounded great! Maybe I should look into an attenuator for my Valve Junior Head. There is no way you could play the thing wide open and stay in the same room with it without one.

ReplyQuote