Notifications
Clear all

Best pedal for a beginner

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nitro285)
Topic starter  

Hi, I have been playing/learning guitar for about 6 months now and I want to buy an effects pedal but I need help deciding which type to buy.

I have been looking at BOSS distortion pedals but can't decide which one to get. I want a distortion that will give me a heavy metal/hard rock sound (e.g. Iron Maiden, Guns n roses) and also be able to give a grunge sound (e.g. Nirvana).

I was thinking of getting the DS-2 because Kurt Cobain used it and according to BOSS' chart ( ) it can get a metal sound as well. But I cannot decide between it and other BOSS distortions such as DS-1(which I know has been used by a lot of professionals), MD-2 and MT-2.
Which would be the best choice?

Also I have been looking at other types of pedal such as Wah, delay and chorus.
Which type of pedal should I get first?

(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Have a look at the Digitech DF7 Distortion factory - 7 different stomp box models in there from Tubescreamer to Metal Zone. Buil like a tank as well.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You might look into an EQ pedal first to shape your sound, 7 bands can do wonders for your tone. This is the one thing beginners can't get through their head because they have to have the pedal "Put your favorite artist here" had. I've heard it over and over again on this board and I'm convinced myself, unfortunately I bought a cheap Dano It worked great but my new Boss kicks donkey!!! do yourself a favor and give it a try. If you don't like the EQ pedal I'll eat it( You have to pay postage to send it to me) 8) 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

I've been playing for about a year now and about six months ago I picked up a Zoom G2.1u multi effects pedal. I've been really happy with it since it lets me play around with a huge range of effects without having to buy all the pedals. The ability to record directly to my computer through USB is also a great asset since I find that there's a lot of things I pick up about my playing only when I can sit down and listen to the recordings. It's a very versatile pedal, it's not terribly expensive and it has survived six months of abuse so far without so much as a whisper of complaint. Of quality of the effects can't match that of high end dedicated analogue pedals, but then, I haven't been playing long enough to have developed an ear that can tell the difference.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well my amp's distortion died so I had to either buy an amp or a distortion pedal. So I chose the cheaper route. I ended up buying 3 inexpensive pedals.
1st was the Arion Tubulator for 12 bucks. I didn't like it at all. I thought that maybe it requires a tube amp, I have no clue. anyway...
2nd The Danelectro Fab Overdrive($15) was a lot better but I still wasn't happy with my distortion.
3rd So I tried the Danelectro Fab Distortion. Now this pedal is great. It took me a few days to retrain my ears to this little box but once I got used to it, it was a blast. If your on a tight budget, I suggest The Danelectro Fab Distortion.
$15.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Danelectro has a Fab Metal Pedal for $15. I've been wondering about that box myself. Maybe that one is for you.

I am wondering whether I should start collecting pedals or save up some cash and get a POD. Thats another Subject.

Good Luck!

I tried the Fab Overdrive and The Arion Tubulator in my 10Watt Crate with an 8" speaker today and they both sounded pretty good. The Tubulator surprised me the most. The amp that I was basing the above on is a Crate GX-30M. 30watt with a 12" speaker.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Compressors, EQs and boosters are pedals you'll always be using, regardless of the rest of your setup. Overdrive, reverb and such are more dependent on the rest of your gig and might be less usefull a choice.

ReplyQuote
(@vers1on)

I have the Boss DS-1, and it doesn't give me a real metal sound. The MT-2 should, and with the right tweaking of the dist and tone nobs, I'm pretty sure you can make it sound warmer. You also need the right amp wattage and guitar pickups, too, so make sure you dont skimp out on those.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Have a look at the Digitech DF7 Distortion factory - 7 different stomp box models in there from Tubescreamer to Metal Zone. Buil like a tank as well.

I second

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Don't get a DS-1.

Although I do suggest the DS-2.

However, if you want some really distorted fuzzy sounds, then you might want to look elsewhere.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote