Clear all

BIG New Years Eve Gig u won't believe

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Me and the guy who got me into Live Sound and Recording, are combining our systems for the biggest (I think) party i've ever heard of.

My Rig: (2) 18" BEHRINGER Sub (4) Behringer 1220 Cabs. (4) Peavey wedge monitors. I also have access to (2) JBL dual 15" and (2) JBL monitors, and yes I plan on getting them. And enough channels and 5000 WATTS of power.

His Rig: (4) Reversed 18" VETA Subs (4) Yamaha 12" CABS "F" Series (8) JBL (4) Behringer (2) Peavey monitors. Plenty of channels, Drive rack, and 8000 Watts of power. (he is a professinal sound engineer runs sound for bands out of nashville and all over, just got back from a Paris gig, so if he needs it he's got it basically). Yea I ain't got nothing compared to him. But u got to start somewhere

So we are combining these two rigs. WHOOOAAAAA!!!! (6) Subs, (10) tops (20) monitors......and 13,000 Watts of power. and over 80 channels.......

Grant it we probably wont' use all 13000Watts and all 20 monitors. I know the drummer gets his own SUB. Every performer will have a monitor with his/her own mix. And as good as he is with Sound Engineering, we wont' have any phasing problems I HOPE.

The entier Coast should be able to hear this party. Heck people in DC should be able to hear us. Can u imagine how loud it would be if we pushed it to it's capability (with reason), always quality before volume.

Just thought I'd get this excitement off my chest I mean we going to be puttin out some sound. Hopefully we will get to do it again.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow leear, I wouldn't even know where to start with a rig like that.

Running sound is fun. I started out with a very basic system, just a powered mixer with two mains and one monitor. We ran one mic for vocals, that was it. Then we went to two vocal mics, and a little later we mic'd the kick drum. Then we started to mic the snare and toms.

Haven't progressed much further than this, but a little. Now, we have one vocal mic, mics on the toms, snare, and kick, and mics on each guitar amp. I have added amps to my rig, 2 subs, and we run as many as 4 monitors. But lately, we have cut back to 2 floor monitors.

But I tell ya, the more mics and speakers you have on stage, the more difficult it gets. Feedback can become a problem.

You ought to go over to Scott's PA Tutorial. That's where I learned everything I know (not much) about running sound. They've got some real pros over there. One fellow (forget his name) in England really runs a big system. He works for a large band with 2 guitars, bass, drums, horns and sax, singer, and about 4-6 backup singers. You can get some great advice over there. And everyone is super nice just like GuitarNoise. Just tell 'em Wes sent you over.

Scott's PA Tutorial Message Board

You really should get to know them, you will get much expert advice from truly nice people.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

sounds like he runs sound for Tower of Power.........LOL Thanks i'll go check it out

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

leear

Oh yeah, you will love Scott's. Several of the fellows own their own sound companies. They know practically every piece of gear ever made.....

You can even get good advice on running your sound business.

So, If being a professional soundman is your thing now, you will really like it there.

Plus, they need some new blood over there. Believe me, they will be glad to have you on.

Check out some of the pics of their rigs while you're there.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

WOW, it was awesome, over 4000 people the entire night. several individual acts, and about 20 bands. (all local of course). We had it "Crunk" it took all day to setup and "ring out" But when that first band played we were on a roll. Several local sound guys even the bands ound guys were asking how we had all this rigged. Lets just say it took some thinking. They said when the last band played just before midnight u could hear it down the beach about 6 or more miles clearly. But yet it wasn't loud. We just had that much equipment we could angle some back some FOH some left and we even put two up by the road so people driving could hear better.

It was awesome. excpet the break down. I got home about 4 hours ago. thank goodness for equipment trailers all i got to do is unhook my truck. lol

ReplyQuote