Clear all

Blown speaker?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How do you know if you have blown your amp speaker?

I have a VOX AD15VT - had it about 7 or 8 months.

I am getting a loud "sizzling/popping" noise when I hit certain notes/chords on the lower strings with the amp turned up. At first I though it sounded electrical but now I think it sounds like the speaker. Plus, it is only noticeable with the amp turned up a bit - and mainly on the lower two strings.

Recently, I have been turning up the volume and gain quite a bit - with a scooped EQ to get some deep metal tones on the UK setting. Could I have blown the speaker? Is there any way to be sure?

Thanks,

Eeic

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Given that an early prioneer of rock and rool (whose name I've shamedly forgotten) apparently took a knife to his speakers to create 'distortion' before distortion pedals and the like, I would hazard a guess that you might have blown the speaker.

Is the cab/unit open backed? If so, you should be able to get a good look at the condition of your speaker. I'm guessing not, as you'd probably have already done this.

Sorry I'm not more help. :(

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Scrybe.

Also, I play an Ibanez artcore semi-hollow that does have much more bass than some guitars - is it possible that this contributed to the problem if the speaker is blown?

ReplyQuote
(@disposable-hero)

Given that an early prioneer of rock and rool (whose name I've shamedly forgotten) apparently took a knife to his speakers to create 'distortion' before distortion pedals and the like,(

I think you are referring to Link Wray's 'Rumble'?

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just checked it again and have a little more information that leads me to believe it is speaker related and not an electrical issue. While the noise is kind of a sizzle - like sparks or electronics - it is only there when I hit certain notes or chords. For instance - strum only the 6th string on the 2nd fret & no noise but strum the 3rd and 4th fret and get the noise then strum the 5th fret and no noise again.

It seems to be a certain frequency that causes the sound - if I am saying that correctly. Which leads me to believe that it is a physical problem with the speaker, although I really have no idea and am looking for others' thoughts.

I don't mind replacing the speaker if that is the issue as many recommend it as a mod on this amp anyway. I just hate to buy a speaker and then find out it is something else...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Might also be a vibration from the speaker or some other part of the amp or cabinet being loose. Could be a microphonic tube, if it's a tube amp. That means that the inner parts of a tube are loose and can vibrate. May vibrate strongly only with certain frequencies. it can be hard to track down something loose. Basically you have to keep playing notes that excite the buzz while touching different things to damp vibrations. Gently tapping tubes with a pencil or such will tell you if you get a bad noise from one of them. (They'll all make some noise when tapped.) But yeah, speakers do blow and make scratchy noises or distortion.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

props for that - yeah I think it was Link Wray how I remember these random things I read I'll never know, lol)

if you can take the amp to a local repair shop/person, that would probs be best as they'll be able to diagnose the problem. As Ricochet said, it might be the speaker or it could equally be some other part of the amp thats causing the 'rumble' but without more info, we wont be able to say conclusively.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote