Clear all

Boost Pedal

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I'm going to rock camp this summer and plan on being lead and rythym guitarist, so I'm looking for a transparent treble/normal boost pedal. Would an equilizer like the danelectro Eggs & Ham(or something) work? Thanks. :) BTW keep it at minimum price please because I have no Job and need to get an effects setup with 100 bucks.

Stairway to Freebird!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why get a transparant 'treble' boost pedal? If you really want to boost just one frequency range go for the mids since they'll allow you to cut through the mix much easier and will add most gain when placed before the pre-amp. A used Boss SD1 pedal ($20 or so) would do, if you have a tube amp. Solidstates don't really like boosters in most cases. Behringer will release a booster and EQ pedal for $20 new in june, if money really is a concern. Noone knows the quality of those pedals yet.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Another low budget alternative is to use the controls on the guitar.
Set your amp tone with the volume rolled back 1/4 or more. When you need a boost, turn the volume up. Usually, this will give you a volume and a treble boost by the way the capacitor works (and that's about the extent of my understanding of the electronics involved). You can usually set it up so the increased volume pushes you from a cleanish rhythm tone to a driven lead tone.
Of course, there's the tone knob as well, if you want to do the same with that one you add even more potential.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's numerous ways this can be achieved. A few things that should also be taken into consideration. What equipment are you using now or going to be using there? Are you going to be Miked? Importantly, What tone are you look for when your playing lead? What style of music are you playing? Basically how do you want to sound. Here's four.

1. Equalizer
2. Volume pedal
3. Overdrive/ booster
4. Multi-Effects pedal

Sometimes this where an all tube amp can come into play, because the more you get down on it (the harder you play) the more perceived volume and break-up it produces. Which can step out of the mix.

Joe

ReplyQuote